Multi-track recording possible?

U

undefined1211

k now...i use acid pro 5 for my mixing vocals and beats.But i record friends and they play guitar so im tryin to get hooked up with multitrack recording. do i need a seperate multitrack recorder like a
fostex mr8 mkii?or would i be able to buy
recording hardware like sound cards for recording 2 tracks simataniously and having them seperate when they reach the computer.

Any soundcard can record two channels at a time. If recording guitar, you'll need a DI box if you're recording straight into computer.

they wont be seperate tho...the computer will blend them into one signal..i need to be able to record 2 tracks at a the same time but seperate ..and post process each track seperatly...cuz reverb for guitar isnt the same for vocals...and so forth.do you guys know of any good multrack recorders around 300 bux.i was thinkin bout the fosex mr8...but im not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any soundcard can record two separate channels at the same time. Left channel+Right channel=track 1+track 2.

i guess im not understanding how...could you explain?..im using acid pro 5 and it only records from one source at a time as far as i know

Last edited by a moderator:
If you listen to a cd player on headphones you are listening to stereo audio. Stereo audio is composed of two mono channels.

Your soundcard has two output channels. These output channels will output a left signal and a right signal. This can either be the same track, or you could have music playing out of one channel (left) and vocals out of the other channel (right), or the other way around.

A "line" input on soundcard is a stereo input. This has a left channel, and a right channel.

In Cubase, you have the option of configuring and naming your inputs and outputs as you'd like. Acid is likely capable of something similar. When you add a MONO audio track, you can choose "input 1" which will often be the left channel, or "input 2" which will often be the right channel. So you can add two audio tracks and choose a separate input for each track, therefore record two different things at a time.

It would help if you had something other than a stock soundcard or anything like a soundblaster. A soundcard with 1/4" inputs and outputs often makes things easier.

Back