Mono in FL Studio?

djshawt

Dj Shaw-t
Does anyone know how to make a mixer track mono in fl studio? All the mixer tracks are stereo which really bothers me when I want some elements of the mix to be in mono.

It depends what you mean. If you mean mono to have a sound center in the mix, then every mixer channel in FL studio has a built-in knob for stereo separation, and of course, removing the stereo image.

If you mean mono to export tracks as mono tracks, as far as I know, no. You can make the sound center with a stereo imaging plugin and then pan it after also.

Basically I just want to set up a mix like how you would in Cubase but in FL studio. Where you have some synths that are mono some in stereo. Drums mono. The problem is every channel on the mixer is a stereo one? How can I make a mono channel on the mixer.

Select your mixer track, and to the right of the small three-band EQ there'll be two knobs. One of them controls the 'stereo sparation.' When you completely close this, the track becomes mono based on the sum of the two stereo signals.

Hope that helps.

the idea i believe of mixing is still valid. think of the signal flow in FL for a moment. From the channels to the insert track on the mixer. i guess most inputs to the mixer are mono if mono or stereo if stereo, jus that the output is always stereo or more correctly, two channel sound.....

maybe get some mono plugin and voila

if you run a stereo channel through a mono compressor for example, would that do the trick. And how can you tell if your wav drums have been recorded in mono, for example?

Basically I just want to set up a mix like how you would in Cubase but in FL studio. Where you have some synths that are mono some in stereo. Drums mono. The problem is every channel on the mixer is a stereo one? How can I make a mono channel on the mixer.

Only thing I could think of would be to do what I said. Make the signal mono with an insert and then pan it with another insert if you need panning. A mono plugin might work I'd rather use a pan type of plugin to avoid unnecesary processing. Also, a mono plugin might just take one channel so it just depends on the plugin also. I would think FL plugins would take the sum though.

Stereo Separation knob

in the mixer (F9), there's a stereo seperation knob that you can turn all the way to the right to flatten the track to mono.

As far as I know, that's how you get mono in FL studio.

For those addressing this problem with the "Stereo Separation" knob, when you export all your channels down to .wav to mix with vocals in Protools, are your channels Mono or Stereo when they show up in Protools? The problem I get is they all show up as stereo tracks.

This problem only arises for producers who mix Fully in Protools instead of bouncing out the instrumental and just record + mix vocals. I like the ability to do a full instrumental and vocal mix in the same sequencer.

So, has anybody been able to find a solution?

It seems I have to get the tracks and run them through the channel converter in Soundforge and convert each one to Mono.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Jade, everytime I look at your picture icon, I feel you are shooting an air Shadouken at me.

When you import, just import 1 of the channels instead of both. Since they both have the same data, it will be okay.

The tracks WILL show up as stereo but they're actually mono!

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

That's in reply to wen vu

I complained about this to FL Studio a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. It's still impossible to do. It would save time bouncing to ProTools.

They just don't care about their customers who aren't doing everything inside FruityLoops.

Back