Monitors or Headphones?

juse

I've heard of engineers mixing whole albums just using headphones. I'm trying to decide whether I should get a pair of monitors or headphones. I'm a producer on a budget and I only have $500 to spend. Help me out my friends.

Great monitors seem to sound subpar if the room is also not at least minimally acoustically treated. That may be a factor because you have a budget. So if you look at it from that standpoint, $500 cans may give you a better option.

This topic comes up every few days, so there are lots of other threads and opinions you can read. That being said, instead of buying $500 cans, you could get both nearfields and headphones. Get a pair of Tannoy Reveal 502 for $89 per side from Guitar Center, or a pair of JBL LSR305 for $120 per side, and also get a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro for ~$200. If you got the Reveal 502s you'd have enough money left to buy a $100 headphone amp to power the 880s nicely. That way you could have nearfield and headphone monitoring for under $500.

i'd go by if you have a set of decent headphones at home or a decent pair of speakers already... if you have an okay pair of speakers at home get good headphones to mix with.. if you have a good pair of headphones at home get preofessional monitors to mix with

Tbh, don't those producers have their stuff mixed and mastered by pros and they only lay out the seperate tracks ?
A lot of times ppl on FP tell they know producers who mix gems on headphones, I doubt it tbh. I don't doubt it to be creatively all that, but the engineering must be crap if they only played it back on headphones. At some point they must've listened back to their tracks on speakers.

Both are possible. But in all cases you'll have to learn your monitoring system. Clearly, speakers are easier to learn. Clearly hi-end speakers in a good acoustic are easier to learn and provide all the info you need.

I like using headphones. It just feels like I'm inside the track I also cant make too much noise where I live. I really recommend mixing on headphones and then listening to the final mix on monitors. After a while your able to figure out how the sound from your headphones will sound on other devices without even having to check such as cars, clubs etc.

monitors for mixdown. i use clean sound headphones (no BEATS or Ipod) to write tracks because its more comfortabel in my bed or on the balcony

Great monitors seem to sound subpar if the room is also not at least minimally acoustically treated. That may be a factor because you have a budget. So if you look at it from that standpoint, $500 cans may give you a better option.

Very true... Room acoustics is everything... but i feel if you have a $500 budget i would hit craigslist and get a solid pair of monitors for $300. then read up on room acoustics it is very simple to treat early reflection points in any room which will make a world of difference. there are plenty of cheap diy panels you can make or you can buy some. I feel with your budget you will have no problem getting a solid pair of monitors and be able to treat your room.

this link will give you alot of info on treating a room RealTraps - Creating a Reflection-Free Zone
I would go monitors.

There are a lot of good monitors and headphones for a total of that budget! If you have the opportunity test them in your room before buying with music you really know how it should sound! ;)

Well I use a couple of Adam F7s and Sennheiser 650HD headset, but since I got my Adams, I rarely use the sennheisers.
I do put them on the check my mix, but I do recommed monitors

I find that listening on headphones tends to exaggerate the inner details of a mix a little, and also makes it easier to identify clicks and pops on a recording than when listening on speakers.

Depends on your room. If you have a very small room, it's a good idea to use headphones to check on your low frequencies. Best would be to use both, though. Always try and use several references.

Back