monitors or heaDphones

360 WAVES

when listening 2 a mix,if it sounds good on monitors but distorted on headphones,wht mix 2 u go wit monitors or headphones

it sounds different in headphones. try to listen to it on avereage speakers if your selling it because thats what everyone has is average speakers. but you should go with the monitors for playback. but headphones "while: your mixing and monitors haha

i have monitors & headphones...ive been mxing in my headphones lately and ive been getting complimetns on those trakcs lol.....main thing i use my monitors fa now is just to listen to em fa pleasure afta im done....btw ive got AKG K220m headphones...cost $90

I mix on nearfields and also mix on Sony7506's and i get good results from both. It's all about knowing the dynamics of what you're using.

Now of course i'm talking mixing my own beat reels or demos we record. I never mix anything myself that's getting pressed up.

I have no interest in that.

360 WAVES said:
when listening 2 a mix,if it sounds good on monitors but distorted on headphones,wht mix 2 u go wit monitors or headphones

...just as a side note...

I'll bet that if you lower your headphone volume your distortion will magically disappear!

dvyce said:
headphones are far from ideal for mixing.

Good one try telling that to a dj ;) naw, but seriously headphones aren't good because of isoloation and proxmity as well as some more genetics related to how people detects frequencies and vibrations differently read the link blue bear sound posted below for more on it makes perfect sense really if you isolate your ears into little rooms you can't really differentiate between the vibrations and frequencies the same similar to how if you try to look out of one eye or the other it skews your perception of vision. Basically think of it like this with monitors it's like your taking the highway to get to where your going and with headphones it's more like your off roading it you might reach the same destination, but it's far more efficient to take the quick and easy highway.

Echolocation said:
Good one try telling that to a dj ;)

I am hoping you are trying to make a joke but realize that "mixing" a song and "mixing" as it refers to DJ's are 2 absolutely and completely different things that have no relation to eachother whatsoever.

Terrel said:
True. Using only one will make the other distorted as far as perception is concerned.

Here's what headphones ARE useful for - critical listening for noises/click/pops, but not mixing the reason for that is isolation and proximity that's why they're good for critical listening because you can sometimes knowtices things you didn't pick up on with monitors, but that's also why they are bad for mixing with as well because imaging is exaggerated due to the isolation from ear to ear and frequency response in the mid and bass ranges are skewed because of proximity to the ear which basically translates to not having room to breath to fully knowtice them well. Think of the proximity thing like a fire if you smother it doesn't have enough air to breath and won't burn as well. Now think of isolation like you would in terms of vision you can see out of one eye or the other, but if you close one eye and try to see your vision is skewed. If you've ever seen that espisode of seinfield where kramer has the eyepatch because he wants to look like a pirate it's a lot like that except instead of your eyes and vision it's your ears and hearing.

u have to spend money on pro cans...run-of the-mill hp's will never cut it...i actually mixdown on both...hp's pick up every lil' nuance that speakers will never allow u 2 hear...sennhieser 265's perfect 4 mixdown

kashcow said:
u have to spend money on pro cans...run-of the-mill hp's will never cut it...i actually mixdown on both...hp's pick up every lil' nuance that speakers will never allow u 2 hear...sennhieser 265's perfect 4 mixdown

I don't think headphones are can be good for critical listening, but that's where their uses end. If you mix/master a song entirely in headphones then try play it on monitors or a stereo it's highly unlikely to sound right because headphones basically split your ears into two seperate listening rooms or chambers while when you listen to music on your speakers your hearing sounds in one open room plus on top of that it skews the mid range and bass frequencies because of the close proximity to your ears. There's a reason why high end studio's all use monitors and worry about things like room acoustics and have isolated control rooms. If you want a very intresting read with a lot of great information from one of the worlds best mastering engineers Bob Ludwig then check out this interview on him. I'd didn't really even know who he was until the other day.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_bob_ludwig/

It depends on how you are creating your mix. For example a mixtape with tables.....you got your headphones connected to your mixer....not the same output as what your recording is getting. Need to check the levels on both, pre-record, pre-record, pre-record!!!!

BgHizzle said:
It depends on how you are creating your mix. For example a mixtape with tables.....you got your headphones connected to your mixer....not the same output as what your recording is getting. Need to check the levels on both, pre-record, pre-record, pre-record!!!!

do you undertand that this is not at all what this thread is talking about?!?

Back