modular jam recording

airbag76

Hi

I am trying to work with a simple set up connecting my Modular Synth first output to an fx chain then to an analog mixer channel 1 and the other one directly to mixer's channel 2
I am working with drones and pulsing beats managed to create few lengthy minimal pieces by modulating (keeping notes of course) parameters....starting with a loop, adding a drone that slowly modulated after a while
then a filter goes down etc. I am recording those jams with a portable recorder and really sounds great. The raw sound of the synth, the live feeling, my gestures on synth and fx...
the problem is that having all those sonic elements in my 2 VCA then to only two outputs makes not possible to real time record the piece in different daw channels.
On the other hand by splitting each of my sonic elements then record separately first the drone (lets say 10 minutes) then the pulse etc that live filling is lost. My timings, my modulations, the the way one sound affects the other i lost somewhere.
Does anyone know any strategies to achieve a good multichannel recording for further daw editing without losing those elements I am talking about?

thanks

you're kind of stuck to be honest.

more VCAs would help and you can never have enough VCAs but when you have everything interacting it gets different when you separate it.

i'd do long recordings then chop those down to size.

drone for an hour then cut out the good parts and work with them.

i don't multi track my modular though. it goes into my mixer then into my little 2 channel interface.

its true, I ll try to follow your tips and give the fight in editing!!!
quoting my recorder managed to catch the wind outside in the trees and some birds singing together with the synth jam
and it was amazing. now tell me how to catch the same vibe again!!! hahaha

thanksso much for your help

you're kind of stuck to be honest.

more VCAs would help and you can never have enough VCAs but when you have everything interacting it gets different when you separate it.

i'd do long recordings then chop those down to size.

drone for an hour then cut out the good parts and work with them.

i don't multi track my modular though. it goes into my mixer then into my little 2 channel interface.

Hi its me again, by the way do you know anything about the output level of the synth? Someone claims that needs to be attenuated cause its high above the line level. is it true?

thanks again

modular levels are a lot higher than line levels. its pretty easy to deal with. either get a modular that lower them like the pittsburgh modular output, run them through an attenuator to lower them, or like it do run them into a mixer than can handle them then into your audio interface.

you ever visit the muffwiggler forums? its pretty much the go to modular place on the web.

modular levels are a lot higher than line levels. its pretty easy to deal with. either get a modular that lower them like the pittsburgh modular output, run them through an attenuator to lower them, or like it do run them into a mixer than can handle them then into your audio interface.

you ever visit the muffwiggler forums? its pretty much the go to modular place on the web.

Thanks again very helpful

I've got a largish eurorack setup so if you have any questions hit me up. I'm infradead on muffwiggler as well.

Back