Mixing a whisper track

Jonny_silva

1st time Ive ever recorded and tried to mix a 'whisper track', just wondered if anyone has any tips of mixing whisper tracks?

Thanks.

A whisper track is usually done for effect, so it first depends on the effect you are shooting for. I use them to either fill or to accent. To fill I bury them in the mix, panning it hard. To accent I put it slightly above the vocals to add air. Light on effects both ways.

I want to use it to add air and enhance pronounciation. I out some heavy compression on it to bring it up a bit, not sure if that was right or not though.

Cut out alot of the low end, maybe even some mids. A whisper wouldn't contain much that'll need to be heard in those frequencies anyways.

I want to use it to add air and enhance pronounciation. I out some heavy compression on it to bring it up a bit, not sure if that was right or not though.

I know you hear this a lot, but in this case it really does "depend on the vocals" and what you are looking for. If you are shooting for airy and seductive (almost any Mariah Carey song), then leave it slightly on top with a little compression, a little verb. If you are looking for something more natural sounding, then but it more in the mix. I would only say too far on top takes away from the vocal itself, unless this is an effect that you are shooting for. Your ears are the best judge in this case.

Yea ive done that. Cut out the low end quite far into it, and boosted a bit right at the top to give some air also cut out some of the sibilance.

So basically just keep it quite dry? I wanted to see if you could get some good effects freom giving it a bit of delay. You could maybe use it as a sweep instead of white noise if you had the right bit

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

I know you hear this a lot, but in this case it really does "depend on the vocals" and what you are looking for. If you are shooting for airy and seductive (almost any Mariah Carey song), then leave it slightly on top with a little compression, a little verb. If you are looking for something more natural sounding, then but it more in the mix. I would only say too far on top takes away from the vocal itself, unless this is an effect that you are shooting for. Your ears are the best judge in this case.

Im using it on rap vocals but over a dance beat which goes at about 125+ bpm. I want shiney vocals and because of the fast flow to help bring out pronunciation as I said.

I want shiney vocals and because of the fast flow to help bring out pronunciation as I said.

Then make the lead vocal bright and shiny through EQ. Dont swamp it with delay/reverb.

I've done a whisper track once.. other than EQ i used a 1/16 delay on it with ping pong panning and some high cut on the effect and made it barely noticeable with the wet/dry mix knob. Try that and see if you like it. The delay I used was the free one from kajearhus classic plugins.

When doing the Mariah Carey whisper track thing, I just add a little compression and de-ess if necessary. I've found that whipser tracks rarely need EQ unless they are totally screwed up. I will generally buss them to teh same group as the rest of the chorus so they will get the same reverb/delay/etc.

Im using it on rap vocals but over a dance beat which goes at about 125+ bpm. I want shiney vocals and because of the fast flow to help bring out pronunciation as I said.

Well since it's a dance track, then it's all about energy. If you only apply air to your lead vocals, but not your backgrounds, they may get lost within the track. I would make three copies of the whisper track (if you can't re-record), apply one to the left and one to the right, these should be chopped so that they match what is being said in the background vocal if possible. Smash them and put them in a verb and this will give the background some fullness and air. Then the third whisper track remains unedited, add alot of compression and put it in a hall reverb, this will go slightly above the main vocal and give you the effect I think you are looking for. You need strong vocals to pull this off on a dance track, rock track, etc. so make sure you have enough stacks to give your vocal power.

if the pronunciation needs to be enhanced you might want to explore having your artist re do his verses...Whenever I do rap and guys wanna stack stack stack to add this character or whatever I just have them put all that emphasis from the stacks into the main layer...they usually are very happy with it.

whispers really help add air to the vocals I use them on every track!

if the pronunciation needs to be enhanced you might want to explore having your artist re do his verses...Whenever I do rap and guys wanna stack stack stack to add this character or whatever I just have them put all that emphasis from the stacks into the main layer...they usually are very happy with it.

I know what you mean but we get our pronounciation pretty on point, its just with the speed of the flow sometimes things can get a little lost.

Thanks HIMbeats Ill try that technique see what I end up with! When you say 'smash them' I take it you mean compress the **** out of tyhem?

Somebody uploaded this instrumental to youtube, they took out the vocal track themselves, it sounds a mess, but you can hear the whisper track in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUETJeV2NY

I don't think much needs to be done to a whisper track

drop the bass frequencies

compress it

pan it if needed

render it to one file with the main vocal track

the extra whisper track is an effect itself

If you only apply air to your lead vocals, but not your backgrounds, they may get lost within the track.

Ever tried a reverb on a single take and then use a m/s equalizer to muffle the mid(center) a little and let the side(stereo) shine through for those situations where you cant record another take to pan left? Just wondering if it sounds like ittl make sense.

Thanks HIMbeats Ill try that technique see what I end up with! When you say 'smash them' I take it you mean compress the **** out of tyhem?

Yes, compress the crap out of it, light reverb, course it depends on the plate, if you need more shine then bring in a exciter, you should cut the low frequencies and bring in a desser as a NORM for vocals, so that goes without saying IMO

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Ever tried a reverb on a single take and then use a m/s equalizer to muffle the mid(center) a little and let the side(stereo) shine through for those situations where you cant record another take to pan left? Just wondering if it sounds like ittl make sense.

Well, yes you could use a mid side eq to add some shine to vocals. I like using Brainworx's M/S eq for this (can't think of the name of it right now) because it has a presence shift that adds air, but very little sibilance is brought in. I don't really like messing in the low mids 250 - 500 area because I like keeping the body of the snare intact and plus so many things live around there, but yes your theory makes sense. Muffle the mid and bring some shine through the side. I think good whispers shouldn't need eq IMO, but you got alot artist trying to do whisper tracks and they really can't and you got every producer trying to do whisper vocal effects on every song when the song doesn't really allow for it.....again just my opinion.

Back