Mixing - Sound Quality on this beat?

hilos20

Whats Up FP!

I'm working on this track and wanted some feedback on sound quality and overall feel of this R&B track. I think I want to change the kicks and snares, maybe because i've been listening to it for a while now, I dont know. Let me know what you think!

"Let Me"

http://www.myspace.com/lostudio

Goin on 6 months since i started.

Thanks!
Los

hot beat. I see it as an album joint not a single there is a difference. Don't change the drums. Everything sounds well blended together. When you get it mixed I believe if will actually sound good enuff to pitch off. Keep up da work buddy.

I wouldn't change the drums either they sound fine. As far as overall feel of the track, I feel like it needs a little more. You have great tones that go together well, but R&B music isn't quite like rap beats. The music kind of tells a story with the melody, and the singers merely color the melody and adds to it's excitement. Where is rap beats kind of uses voids in the melodies for the rappers to paint the picture. So I would say build a little more in the melody of the track. And if there is a melody there and I just couldn't hear it, Then I would say bring that up more in the mix.
I know that was heavily opinonated, and you don't have to buy all that but for six months in you sound like your off to a good start. Keep Grindin'.
Respect,

Good lookin out, I agree with you on the Melody, I do feel its a bit shaded and needs to be brought more to the front, I haven't EQ'd this piece well yet and I'm still learning how to tweak frequencies to accent certain sounds or make them stand out just a tad. Thanks for listening and giving feedback its very much appreciated! I remember i started with fruity loops then got curious about what DAW's were other midi programs. I started messing around with Reason, now I'm goin back and forth between Sonar and Protools. I'm still trying to figure out tricks and create more interest in the track I make. I dont know much about break downs or cresendo's or scoops. A good friend at my current job is gonna hook me up with some tips and tricks which I'm sure are used now but I'm greatful to learn. This is the most fun i had in a hot minute!

Good stuff, it sounds so much better then samples would.

I would use a deeper sounding kick. Make it thump a little more. And the guitar I would bring up a tad, make it have tension against the keyboard sound that follows. Good sound.

Back