Mixing Problems

BeatsByFokus

If The Beat Is Already Mastered And im in the recording process and mixing stage my vocals dont seem to be high enough for the beat? Sound Like SomeThings Wrong???? i use EQ's, Commpresors, Gates, You Name It Still doesnt seem to match with the already mastered beat does that matter???

Last edited:
The trouble is probably because your beat is already mastered. If you have the mix of the beat saved (pre-mastered), record your vocals over that, mix it, then master it. That way it should sound high quality as a whole. I hope that helps.

Try again, you should be able to make it sound good. A vocal track is one thing you can do in that matter. An instrument track would be much harder to implement into a mix after it has been mastered though.

Good use of EQ, compression and limiting to fit the master should do it.

Recording over a mastered instrumental in ill advised. The perceived loudness of the instrumental will make mixing in a vocal difficult. And mastering again? C'mon.

Even if you decide to go thru with it, keep in mind that you'll be "mastering" and already mastered track. Where have you ever heard it recommended to do that? YOu haven't because it's ill advised.

Listen to a professional CD and listen do a mixtape from whichever download site you'd like. You'll notice a HUGE difference in quality, the most prevalent is this very issue.

Peace.

if its an instrumental to another rappers single mix your vocals to match theirs. If not, just balance it as well as you can. Unless the instrumental was mastered like chit then there's no possible way you wouldnt be able to get it sounding good.

Vocal Most important Frequency are located in 200hz - 4khz. Try to take at least 1.5 to 2 db off the instrumental because you don't want to mess up the producer's art by taking too much db off. Do that with the EQ just on 200 - 4khz around those FQ. It could be on 500hz don't know keep digging, but keep looking for that space. Increase the vocal using EQ by boosting FQs around 200hz-4khz if EQ is useless,
try "Rvox" from Wave Renaissance bundle or my Favorite "VC160" from Native instrument compressor to boost the vocals carefully. I have in mind what kind of beat you dealing with, and I hate dealing with em because some producers forget about Vocal space and get crazy adding Melodies on Mid frequency to make it sound full. i hope i helped you. good luck and never quit bro.

Recording your vocals over a "mastered" beat is not a big deal and is not something that would cause a problem with your vocals not being heard above the track...

Think about it...

People record vocals over songs that are made 100% from samples off of albums... THOSE ARE ALL MASTERED RECORDINGS!

Of course, you ideally want to have all the elements of the beat still "unmixed" when you are recording your vocals... "vocals" are just another instrument in your mix and should be mixed in to the song just like any other instrument... not just laid on top of a backing track that has already been mixed... ideally.

TURN THE "BEAT" DOWN (as was already said)

But "mastering" is the finalstep in the songmaking process.

Basically, when you say the beat was "mastered", you are just saying it was "compressed and eq'd"... It is nothing magic in there that makes "mastering" special. It is just the final step preparing the track for manufacture creating the "master" track.

And, unless you are preparing for a physical manufacture of an album... and unless there are multiple songs... saying you "mastered" something doesn't mean crap. "Mastering" involves creating the track sequence of the album, prepping for manufacture, making all the tracks sound the same apparent level, making the tracks all sound consistent tonally, etc...

Don't get caught up in the word "mastering".... because when most people use the term online in general (who are not professionals who know what they are talking about, that is) they just mean "make the track loud" or "compress the hell out of it and eq it"... not much different from when those same people compress the hell out of and eq all the other tracks in their session.

Yep I have done this many times in mashups in my days, it just takes trial and error, pull the original track down 1db and you should be able to figure out how to fit the vocal in with some eqing and compressing, sometimes duplicating the vox is necessary, sometimes the waves vocal rider is necessary, and sometimes a waves transxwide is needed on the vox to find open space, reverb can create a larger vocal image as well (I usually stick to extreme settings, huge plate or small tight room). It's a different process every time depending on the original track and vox.

the point is to mix and master the WHOLE project I hate it when producers think they have to have a mastered version of the music. The only reason people do that is to IMPRESS artists so they purchase their beats. Producers and artists together make music so they should be mixing and mastering it all together! my two cents.

Back