Mixes never soundingg good...

SOTAMuzik1

Okay, so I do not know how to mix, but whenever I play the track in my DAW (FL Studio) and it sounds good, but the moment I play it through my computer's media player or an online media player, it sounds COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (and not in a good way).

I'm guessing a "rookie mistake" kind of situation going on, but I'm not sure... This shit is confusing.

hi there
i am not 100% sure about this but what i believe

here is the problem here
when we hear a song, or a sound which is louder than the one before we believe it to be better, more professional, or whatsoever

and because of this reason everyone aims to be louder so they can sell their products; vst synths, sound-designs, beats, mixing and all that

i have seen people making tutorials on yotube with extreme loudness , difference with sounds and vocal, so as you listening what he say when you hear the extreme big sound come you be like woooow, wtf was that, a specially if you dont have same tools that will make you feel its louder/better

but these are only tricks that has been used

about your question , i use fl studio and i really love it, i dont think there is something wrong with it, however, i believe there are tricks on fl studio to make you believe its louder/better

the limiter on master is set +6 db, to bring everything up to 0 db which makes everything loud and cool and you can have positive experience without even touching the compressors,

learn to use compressors and eq to get close to 0db

Last edited:
Good point above, but if he's rendering from FL Studio, then the limiter probably does its job as well, meaning on that part it should sound the same wether it's inside or outside the DAW.
It may be that the media player tries to equalize the percieved loudness between different tracks and increases the volume slightly which means the OP believes it sounds better - or that the media player has some audio configuration that the audio drive that he uses in FL bypasses.

Just some guesses though.

Man I have a post in the Getting Started section about the first and last track that I've completed. I played it through the myflashstore player and it sounds HORRIBLE. I open the track in FL Studio and it sounds clean and everything.

Maybe it could be that I export it as an MP3 instead of wav. I know before you do export tracks, there are a few settings you can change.

i don't know guys that's why i said i am unsure about it

another problem is that when you make a beat it gets boring when listening same sounds for so many times that is a good reason to let someone else to do a final mix&master, who is fresh and takes it from there with more respect of the sounds, melodies that have been made and looks for more details of eq boost/cuts and stuff like that

if i get back in my tracks i always change something, because i feel like its missing, but that's not how it really is, maybe you just got bored with the same sounds, same chord progression there,

try new projects, and get back to this beat after 2 weeks, more fresh, and more respect of the sounds, vhord progression and all that

FL is likely using a different driver for playback (ex: ASIO4ALL or their relatively new FL ASIO) than what is used by default. My laptop uses Beats and sounds quite different than what I do in a FL. Others will hear your work based on how their their driver affects playback. You could listen to it on your phone and it will likely sound the same as it does in FL when using the same headphones/monitors (assuming your phone doesn't have any "enhancements").

You've got to check your "convert" or "rendering" settings when you export the track to a folder. It's probably losing quality due to those settings.

Make sure the audio settings are at least a 256 kbps and have at least a 44.100 kHz sample rate when FL renders and exports your file into an mp3 or wav.

How could you expect that a work in progress can sound as good than a finished production ? A rough mix has no chance against a mastered track.

I'm guessing a "rookie mistake" kind of situation going on, but I'm not sure... This shit is confusing.

As you might or might not know, your converter is an EQ filter. This is why pro mastering engineers like me use multiple converters to check how the mix translates. I use extreme combinations that drag in certain directions so that I am able to bring the mixes into the balanced zone on any playback system. The downmix is a process when the DAW is loaded beyond its normal level and this excessive load introduces phase shifts that you don't normally hear when you play the audio inside the DAW. If you have limiters with oversampling applied and use a high sample rate, then you are likely going to suffer a lot. Beyond this there might be dithering and noise shaping applied. This in combination with the fact that various playback formats need various headroom, and the fact that you have the sample rate and 24-bit to 16-bit information loss, renders the audio - relatively speaking - into a pseudo stereo file with an unbalanced frequency response with a slightly harsher transient response, because there are things present in the final audio that you have not been able to adjust for.

This is kind of the difference between commercial and non-commercial mixes. Commercial mixes sound in their final 16-bit print the way your mixes sound inside the DAW at full resolution. Some think this is a loudness issue, but it is really a presence issue. Most here at the forums post questions about this, the question is formulated a bit differently, but it all goes down to the same issue engineers are having. You can solve it - by 50% - by choosing the hardware route. The other 50% is simply just due to more engineering experience - essentially a deeper understanding of how audio and music works.

Last edited:
Back