Mixer Questions

BabyTroy

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question but i'ma try it out and see what happens....

Ok I have a Behringer UB1622FX Pro board. My first question is about Monitors. Alot of people have multiple sets. How would i go about doing this, right now i have a pair of Rokit5's connected to the "main outputs" on the back. Could i connect another pair to the control room outs, is that how that is supposed to work (what is the control room outs' for?)

Next, When someone is in the booth with the headphones on they can hear the beat and themselves, which is good, but what i want to do is also have the people outside the booth hear the beat and the person in the booth and I dont know how to make this happen. Alot of times you can only hear the person and not the beat or the opposite.

Thank you, for reading my long and probably dumb questions.

For your first question, the easiest way would be to split the signal before they go to your speakers. You can get a signal splitter faily cheaply, though I'm not sure of quality. You would have to ask around, or maybe someone has a better idea on here. As far as monitoring outside the vocal booth while recording vocals, why? Unless you have your booth EXTREMELY isolated, you will get bleed or rattling or something. Anyway, how do you have your headphone setup for the person in the booth? If you use the Aux (in pre mode) to send the headphone to an amp in the booth, then you can leave your main outs with your speakers on. The only question then is how are you getting the sound to whatever you are recording onto?

I have the mixer 1/4 inch "main out" to the in on the audiophile 2496 and then from the out on the 2496 to the "tape in" then the headphones are just connected to the phones out.

Professional engineers use monitor controllers to allow for multiple sets of reference monitors (the PreSonus Central Station is a good example of a budget, although very good sounding for the money, unit).

The Control Room Outs on the mixer are for your monitors. The Main Outs go to the recorder (or soundcard, depending on what kind of setup you're using).

To monitor like you want to:

Connect your mixer's main outs to your monitors. Connect the Sub outputs to your recorder. Connect the control room outputs to a headphone amp.

Bring the mix from your computer to an in on the board. Send the performer's channel to the Sub outs, and send the sub 1-2 to the main mix. This allows you to hear what's being performed, while it gets recorded, and hear everything else in the mix (all in your monitors) while the performer hears the output of the headphone amp.

how do you send the performers channel to the sub outs and what not? i really dont know how to work one of these things at all. I jsut sort played around with it when i plugged stuff in. Is there maybe like a diagram that someone can point me to or something about mixers that may help?? thanks man... that helps alot though i will have to copy, paste and save that somewhere lol......that is rough. i'm pretty new to the whole trying to "produce" "make beats" type of deal. i just rap and **** but have always done my own **** with no help so its kind of hard at first.

Last edited:
Back