mixer/ interface question help

contact

Hey guys, I've got a focusrite saffire, and so far it's served me well. I've only been recording some guitar and some vocals. However, I do also play drums, and i wanted to record my set which would require at least 4 pre-amps itself not to mention i would still need at least 3 channels open for guitar/vocals/bass. I was thinking about getting a mackie onyx 1620 but i hear the only way to get all the channels into your pc is through the firewire card option, is it possible i can record my entire session through an analog mixer and on to my pc via the focusrite saffire? The saffire's got 2 xlr inputs, 2 1/4" TRS jacks and 8 1/4" TRS output jacks along with 2 spdif. Eventually I would like to incoorperate turntables and a mixer into this setup. You think the onyx will work? i could use any other reccomendations as well, thanks.

Without knowing the rest of your setup, the only thing I can remind you of is that you'll need a microphone preamp and an input for each channel you'll need to record simultaneously.

You seem to need a good number of I/O... Motu's 24I/O is a nice PCI interface - Cheap, decent conversion, and (as the name suggests) 24 channels of I/O.

After that, it's up to the preamps available. A small console such as Mackie's 1604 has eight direct outs, and you could use the four busses for four more to the Motu.

You could assign 2 outs on the Motu to go to the monitor section of the Mackie and use that for the CR outputs.

There's 24 channels of I/O and 16 preamps for less than $2k. And of course, the ability to swap out and use better preamps, outboard processors if need be, etc.

Back