Mixed vocals feedback welcomed

I am haterproof, and you must remain that way, regardless of the backlash on FP.
With that being said, I speak honesty that is constructive, not demeaning. If it seems that way, I apologize ahead of time.
My monitoring of this mix was achieved with ATH-M70's

THE GOOD
The track is solid, and production for the instrumental is decent quality. The piece is fused together well, and has a great feel to it.

THE BAD
The mix is very rough off the top. It sounds like the gain was cranked to achieve a louder signal, instead of using additive EQing in the master. It also sounds like when you are EQing the vocals (I sincerely hope you are EQing the vocs), the high pass band was either (a) not activated or (b), was set too low to cut the correct frequency. The noise floor of the recording is also very prominent.

MY 2 CENTS
When you are recording, check your compression settings, and make sure they are set to fast and low. For you, I would say keep the settings you have currently on the compressor, and bring your ratio to 2.7:1, and your threshold to -21db, and see what that does for you. Mixing at a higher volume will give an enhanced sound that is loud and punchy (such as you have) but also accentuates the distorted dynamic range, and has a clipped sound when played over a well installed system (which is what really matters, right?). Also when recording, I would suggest running a high pass filter EQ, with a medium roll off around 140-165Hz, and record with your preamp LOW. My rule of thumb states your mix, when volume-leveled, should never exceed -6db of volume in the master channel before you send it off to the master.

Remember, MIX LOW, MASTER HIGH.
Remember, CUT FREQ IN THE MIX, BOOST (if needed) IN THE MASTER.

Cheers!:rolleyes:

The Vocals are good for the way they stand out. It draws you in and makes you pay attention to the words. but just be careful not to use this style of vocal mixing for all your projects. The extra low cut and juiced up hi's sound perfect for this song but most like won't work for every song.

Back