Mix cd mastering?

D

Deft

Hi, i need a bit of help regarding mix cd mastering.
I've got a stand alone cd burner which i use to record a full 70min dj mix. I'm pretty careful with my levels and it's all recorded with flat eq. The question is, would i gain much by creating a 'proper' master from using a home pc set-up. I.e. Just importing the mix from my cd into the computer, and then normalizing / limiting / compressing it, and then burning a copy of the 'mastered' mix. WIll it make much of a difference? And also what would you suggest program-wise for this? Soundforge and T-racks seem to crop up a lot?
Thanks
Deft

big difference

Send me one of your mixes and i'll show you how big a difference it makes. I master mixes for dj's as well as my own and it makes a world of difference:D

exciter & compressor/limiter combo?

Okay, it seems universally accepted that using a compressor/limiter will clean up your sound somewhat. however, the review of the Aphex 104 aural exciter caught my eye, and I notice amongst the scenarios discussed, tape duplication and an in-club setup were mentioned.. would an aural exciter help enhance a mix that was being recorded on a PC?

Does this unit provide any kind of compression or limiting or would this be better provided by a dedicated unit?? If so, in which order would these devices sit? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?!

Cheers
Luke

To answer your question about the software, if you can afford it go for Wavelab. You will not be sorry I assure you.

-Ich

Hey guys..
Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but I just finished up my breakbeats mix CD and it sounds really terrible. I used 2 technics and a vestax 270 mixer -> PC Sound Card. -> Soundforge.

My question is this (Im new to creating Mix CD's, please bare with me):
You guys talk about mastering, compressing and reverb, does that help make my mix CD sound more better? because right now my CD sounds just "ok".. not like a high quality one.

Is there a way I can enhance the sound? it sounds kinda like mellow and crap. I wanted to give this CD to my friends to listen to, but the quality of the sound is very low. Maybe theres a tutorial on the web you guys can direct me to.

Sorry for the long post. Alot of the other DJ's in my area are kinda, well, F'd up and arent willing to help me at all... thats why I like it here.. no ones hating on me.

-John

i see this site http://www.studiocovers.com/articles.htm posted on here alot when people need help. i think it will help you. while im on this post though, id like to ask a question.... what do you guys think is the best software for mastering? im thinking about just getting a mini-disk recorder and an aural exciter for now, but if there is a software that is better id like to know.

I'd say either Soundforge, Wavelab or Samplitude with the Waves Renaissance pack. Waves really have some of the best mastering plugins out there.

Back