Minimum safe distance for mics recording boiling water?

Hey gang!
I want to record some sounds for my sample library that can be used as atmospheric layers. Someone just gave me the idea of recording boiling water.
I have a Zoom H5 recorder with the XY mic module. I want to be able to get as close as I can without possibly warping the mic membranes or other nightmares.
Any suggestions?
Cheers! <3
i think the idea of recording boiling water is best and good luck....

You can simulate the boiling water with a little more control over volume and without the possibility of scalding yourself or a mike in an accident. Just put cold or lukewarm water in a glass or pot, stick in a straw, and blow bubbles.

Yes, turn up the preamp and record a good strong signal. If you don't want an overwhelmingly loud bubble/boil sound, you can always turn it down/mix it back, add some reverb, etc. Many times people record a track or sample that they think is going to be quiet or ambient in the back of the room with minimal gain, "after all, that's how it's going to be used anyway." But remember, *you* want full control of the mix/soundscape. You can always turn a loud sound down. A sound recorded too quietly or with bad signal-to-noise ratio can't successfully be turned up, though.

GJ

Back