microphone setup

THM

RØDE NT2 microphone setup ?

Hi musiclovers all around,

Bought a RØDE NT2 Microphone (very low promotion price) for (home)studio recording.
Just want to know - as a microphone newbie, sorry - how to setup up the things for the best -vocal- sound recordings. How to setup stand, microphone itself (direction), distance between singer (mostly female) and microphone, ...
A friend told me that the NT2 was not such a good choice; is this true (maybe I can sell him 'as new' ;) )?

THM ;)
aka The Happy Mariner
-site under construction-

Last edited:
an studio quality mic is $$$ 5000.00 + but u dont always need the best. :)
your mic should be on the stand .
it should face to the front to u or the singer.
u should use a poper stopper or spit guard same thing.
distance is tricky depends on what u want to do and what sound u want .
a close distance will pick up alot mre bass tones and nasol sounds .a distan mic will be less sensative .
it all depends on what style of music and how loud the singer is for instance
a classic singer would be ferther back from the mic 16 +inches
pop-brandy will be very close ,the vocals sound like some one is wispering in the mic .
it very hard to describe the best thing to do is read some mic technics . there is a lot of info on the net :)

Hi, just wanted to add that the Rode NT2 is a well-respected mic, and is an excellent choice for most vocal recording purposes - I wouldn't sell it just yet :)

cheers,

James

I use both rhode NT1 and NT2 and both are fine - great for overheads and the NT2 is good for vocals. You do want a pop guard - if you don't want to buy one a pair of stockings over a coat hanger does the same thing. Distance depends of the type of sound you want. My advice is to set the pop shield about a foot or so away - maybe even less. This stops the vocalist from coming in any closer than you want them too. But it really does depend of what type of music you are recording.

Back