Microphone for rapping?

YDvoych

This is asked a lot, but I was not able to find something exactly specific and recent.

If I am beginning to Rap, what mic would you recommend in a 50 Euro range (up to 100 Euro, if it is worth it)?

While I know studio quality will be expensive, something decent will do, as now I am freestyling by playing Youtube in background and recording on phone - let's say that I heard better and people I am sending it to complaint of the quality. While obviously something very cheap like 10 Euro for Skype-only microphone would be not enough, what would be the golden middle?

I believe as any industry new products come out regularly and perhaps something dropped recently to good price-levels, or there's that one product that is always available at a good price to begin with and is affordable?

cheerio

You are not going to get any mic (or any other equip) at the price you mentioned. Do your homework.

If you are recording on phone get some headphones so you can listen to the beat you freestyle to in 'em.

Last edited:
Audio Technica (AT2020) USB - Around $100 bucks and is pretty sweet if you ask me.

Do you have an audio interface already?
Only consider a USB mic if you don't have and have no intention of owning an audio interface.

If you have got an audio interface:
Then an Audix F50 should be available new for 50 euros (it's 45 pounds in the UK) - probably the best dynamic mic you'll find in that price range. I'd avoid anything else under 50 quid.
If you're set on a condenser mic the the cheapest I'd consider would be a Samson MTR101A which should run at about 80 euros - it's a peice of shit but a better piece of shit than the comparable Behringer offerings in the sub-100 quid bracket.
Used - a legit Shure SM58 should be in everyone's mic locker. A good quality no-frills dynamic.
Rode NT1-a - should be able to pick a used one up under 100. Decent (if fizzy) condenser.
Even better (IMO) is the SE-2200 (more comparable to the NT2). I have the newer multi-pattern version and rate it highly - the older (silver) version regularly go for less that 100 on eBay.

The SE X1 gets a good write-up as well - About 100 new.

If you haven't got an audio interface then I'd agree that the Audio Technica AT2020USB is probably the best option. But bear in mind - A USB MIC IS NEVER THE BEST OPTION.

If money is tight then I'd advise you save longer - Focusrite and Presonus both do very good value studio packs that contain a 2in2out interface, condenser mic and headphones.
This is what I'd start with - gets you going with decent quality and you can upgrade the mic/headphones later (the pres in both are frankly quite good)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
At2050 or m179 or nt-1

Given the release of NT1, I was unable to locate sufficient discussions arguing between these three.
I am beginner who looks for a new microphone to start doing rap vocals on. I have spent the last three days looking between various microphones and these three seem the best ones to begin with. My question is, which one would you recommend and why (perhaps, there is a better one?)?

Prices are similar, so I am looking for THE one.

I am thinking to go with NT-1, as it is the newest one, has a very good response, is an upgrade of NT1-A (which is praised for quality/price ratio), and is commented on greatly in general. I just want to make sure I am making a right choice (maybe, I am missing something?).

Last edited:
It really depends on your budget. At the lower end I'd recommend something from AKG - perhaps a C214. The C414 is pricier but super versatile. The pros use a lot of high-end gear such as Sony C800Gs and Neumann U87s/U47s. There's a useful article about some of the mics they use here: What Microphones Do The Biggest Names In Rap Use?

Last edited:
Back