Mic picking up Radio signals??

NinjaB

Super Ninja The B!
I have a Shure SM58 Mic running through "Monster" XLR cable to an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface on a MacBook.

When I try to record my vocals, I hear radio signals. They sound like truckers talker to each other or something along the lines. I have NO IDEA why this happening?

If anyone has any info about this please help me out.

thanks

Usually a bad cable. I've never had it happen with XLR cables though. Are you sure that it's your monitors not picking it up. Much more common.

Yeah, sometimes i do some producing on the fly.. and when i go to this one particular organization's building sometimes my monitors pick up the radio waves.
are u sure it's the mic? b/c that seems impossible by the laws of physics lol.

This is because of the electrical current in the building is dirty....either the building is old or just has a bad current. Monster makes a power conditioner that'll clean that up for you....or even a Furman might work. If you don't have three prong electrical plugs (grounded) than this is the problem for sure.

Holla

There are many things that can cause this type of interference .
The OP needs to provide some more info and then to split the fault into more manageable components .

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the electric current...I had the same problem when I had the lab in the crib (which was built in the 40's or 50's) and didn't even have ground plugs in the whole townhouse...

well I don't have any monitors. I'm hearing these signals in my headphones. I do live in a relatively old apartment building, doing my recording in the bedroom. The XLR cable is Brand Spanking new, as is the interface. If it is the buildings electric current, then how do I fix it?

Last edited:
Is the interference there when you unplug the mic ?
Can you borrow an LDC to test ?

How are you powering the fast track ? by a wall wart or by usb ?
Try running the laptop on batteries (unplug the laptop supply)

Is the interference there when you unplug the mic ?
Not sure... however, It USED to happen in the surround sound stereo system I had in the living room for the DVD player. At random times during the night I would hear a loud police scanner come through the speaker system.

Can you borrow an LDC to test ?
I don't know what this means

How are you powering the fast track ? by a wall wart or by usb ?
It's Powered by USB.

Try running the laptop on batteries (unplug the laptop supply)

I will give that a try later on today

Yes , try unplugging the supply from the laptop , have a listen .

Can also try this .....
Turn down the mic gain then Try unplug the mic , leave the lead plugged into the audio interface , and then turn the mic gain up to where you normally have it to record ... have a listen .

I am looking at two different problems above , one for a mains supply problem , the other for an RFI problem (as this is what you are describing) .
I do hope you are not right underneath a repeater ! *crosses fingers*

Let us know how you get on .

Last edited:
So interestingly enough, today as I try to record vocals the same way I normally did, the interference has stopped. However I went ahead and tried the suggestions any way.

Yes , try unplugging the supply from the laptop , have a listen .

When it is plugged in I hear a buzzing sound.
When the power supply is not plugged in, the low level buzz I hear at my preferred recording level is gone.

Can also try this .....
Turn down the mic gain then Try unplug the mic , leave the lead plugged into the audio interface , and then turn the mic gain up to where you normally have it to record ... have a listen .

While doing this I hear a much louder, thicker buzzing sound. When turning the gain up to a suitable recording level, it is peaking.
When doing this with the Mac Book power supply plugged IN, the sound more than doubles in loudness.

I am looking at two different problems above , one for a mains supply problem , the other for an RFI problem (as this is what you are describing) .
I do hope you are not right underneath a repeater ! *crosses fingers*

Let us know how you get on .

I am not sure what an RFI is, But so far, unplugging the supply seems to have solved the problem for now. I did not have any interference either way today so I do not know for sure if it will continue (as it seems to be random).
Again thanks for all the feedback (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Seems you may have sorted "some" of the problem :)
Have a think about getting hold of an LDC (large diameter capacitance mic) , these output a much larger signal and therefore your recordings will be that much louder than any noise (EMI/RFI)

As the guy above said , there could be an underlying ground issue , you will have to keep listening for interference .

If the problems resurface and you need further help , PM me and we can see if it can be tracked down :D

Back