Mic Care

IGWright

Howdy,

Got a Sony C-800G and I wanted to get some advice. I wanted to protect it from dust and moisture, but I use it every night, so I don't want to take it off the stand and put it in the case after every time I use it.

It's in a vocal booth right now and I wrap it with some Saran wrap after it cools down.

As I understand it, the standard proceedure is to put some kind of dust cover over it and put something in the dust cover to soak up the humidity.

Any suggestions?

Ian

I recommend against plugging and unplugging all the time. The reason for this is that you will wear out and loosen the connectors on the microphone which may be a problem in the long run. I know you said this is what you don't want to do but just to throw it in there.

If your mic is in a booth and you keep your area fairly clean, I don't see much of a need to put anything over the microphone.

Sorry, I hadn't finished my post but I really had to go as I was writing that.

If you must cover your mic because you feel that it is important, just don't go for anything fibrous. That somewhat defeats the purpose.

I have no suggestions other than that.

Jesus, nice F'in microphone....I can only imagine what that thing must sound like....What are you running it though when you track vocals?

I could be totally wrong, but I believe they make little microphone covers to place over mics when not in use. Thought I had seen some before...

Ebbiguise555 said:
Jesus, nice F'in microphone....I can only imagine what that thing must sound like....What are you running it though when you track vocals?

I could be totally wrong, but I believe they make little microphone covers to place over mics when not in use. Thought I had seen some before...

I love the mic. It was a bit of a hit, when I paid down on it, but it really is an incredible tool. I'm running it into a Trak2 (Apogee), and the cabling is Tara Labs.

I feel like I've got my levels and angels worked out nicely over the year or so that I've had my rig up and running, and the end result is a recording environment where I can really get lost in the music.

BTW I'm using the Stedman filter most of the time. There have been a couple o' tunes where I was hitting a lot of 'plosives where I used an nylon filter, but I did find that the nylon took a teeny tiny bit off the top end.

Overall, I have found that my tonality, musicality and sensitivety as a singer have improved a lot from using the sony. It tells not lies and actually has allowed me to hear things in my voice that I've never heard before. This is particularly useful when I'm tracking 'cause it means I don't need to got back and retake things 'cause I can hear exactly what's going on while I'm tracking.

Also I track without any effects, this helps a lot. It's not as gratifying during the recording process, but definitely produces a better end product.

Ian

beleive it or not, if you look at a lot of the old school studio pics (where they would leave everything pretty much setup all if the time)-you may see those old blue Crown Royal cloth bags over some of the mics...

peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com

No chit...and for the 8 g's or whatever that thing cost, they should throw in a toaster and other stuff as well. :)

Personally, I wouldnt need to even worry about covering it or anything. I'd be sleeping with that baby everynight-

That's basically what happens, since I usually Track between 01:00 AM and 04:00 AM.

Since I've got the rig running nice, I find that when I'm getting eyes from chicks in bars, I'm running through my head whether I should bother, since I could be making music instead.

Ian

Back