Mbox 2 pro and mics

N

netomtz88

hey everyone I recently bought Mbox 2 pro and i would like to record some acoustic drums,but the thing is that i don't know if i have to connect my mbox 2 pro to a mixer if so what's the cheapest one? to get more mic ouputs because i want to use at least 6 mics for drum recording! do you know up to how many mics am i going to be able record at the same time?

thanks em.:)

You can record as many mics as you can hook up, but the amount of separate tracks is equal to the amount of inputs on the Mbox, simple as that. So without any extra hassle, you'd be easily able to connect four mics to the analog inputs.

I think this is a case of you needing more than an M-Box has to offer. I'm pretty sure that unless you just want to mix all your drums in realtime and input them into Pro Tools as 1 or 2 stereo tracks, you're going to need a multiple track interface.

EDIT: My bad, the M-Box 2 PRO should have exactly enough inputs. You have 4 Line ins and your 2 xlr inputs as well.

Last edited:
you can hook up the drum mics to a mixer or pre w at least 8 inputs like the M audio Octane, then have the Stereo Outputs to the Mbox Stereo inputs.

you can hook up the drum mics to a mixer or pre w at least 8 inputs like the M audio Octane, then have the Stereo Outputs to the Mbox Stereo inputs.

Of course, but then you can't really do much mixing-wise later on if you just have a stereo track.

Of course, but then you can't really do much mixing-wise later on if you just have a stereo track.

True. Mic placement also has a huge impact in your recording, take your time to mic up the drums and come up w a nice blend to Stereo. Im a firm believer that the less processing or mixing involved to tape (or DAW) the better, leave that till then end. :cheers:

Last edited:
He's using an M-Box 2 Pro, not regular M-Box 2. All he has to do is run a mic to each of the inputs and set each input to it's own track in PT.

I think this is a case of you needing more than an M-Box has to offer. I'm pretty sure that unless you just want to mix all your drums in realtime and input them into Pro Tools as 1 or 2 stereo tracks, you're going to need a multiple track interface.

EDIT: My bad, the M-Box 2 PRO should have exactly enough inputs. You have 4 Line ins and your 2 xlr inputs as well.

I only seen one aux line in....are you sure its has 4 line ins not including the Mic/Line's

EDIT......

never mind I just noticed the 2 inputs on the front

mbox2pro_lg_30759_done-1b6efa594bad7cf9ab681e18c10a5d58.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
could you use that aux line in and make 5 inputs

What are you talking about. The aux input has a phono input and 2 1/4" which in no way makes 5 inputs.

Look. You have two inputs with the Mic/line inputs 1 and 2 and you have two more inputs with the Aux 1/4" inputs. Then if you get a A/D converter you can use the Spdif in for two more inputs with a total of six but if you were to buy a converter you might as well just buy a Digi 002/003 and get 8 inputs.

I suggest using the 4 inputs and using them for Kick, Snare and two overheads.

What are you talking about. The aux input has a phono input and 2 1/4" which in no way makes 5 inputs..

I said 5 inputs because I see there are 2 inputs on the front....then the 2 mic inputs and the 1 Aux Input....2+2+1=5
my question was

Can you use the Aux Input as a fifth Input?

What are you talking about. The aux input has a phono input and 2 1/4" which in no way makes 5 inputs.

Look. You have two inputs with the Mic/line inputs 1 and 2 and you have two more inputs with the Aux 1/4" inputs. Then if you get a A/D converter you can use the Spdif in for two more inputs with a total of six but if you were to buy a converter you might as well just buy a Digi 002/003 and get 8 inputs.

I suggest using the 4 inputs and using them for Kick, Snare and two overheads.

:victory:

ok so ill only be able to use 4 inputs to record snare, bass drum, toms, and hi hats? damn i need to record my cymbal my ride my crash

^^^If this will be a reoccurring problem...I suggest you breakdown and buy another interface.

You can always chain a mixer for all drums for panning and mixing seperately before being recorded, but ultimately, they'll all end up together on one stereo track.

That's what I'd do.

Last edited:
I'd say you need to upgrade to the digi 003, especially if this is the type of recording you'll be doing on an on going basis. You need to have everything on a separate track so you can tweet it in the mix later. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!

I'd say you need to upgrade to the digi 003, especially if this is the type of recording you'll be doing on an on going basis. You need to have everything on a separate track so you can tweet it in the mix later. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!

Or an HD system, you can get it for almost the same price (if you know how to look) the Digi 003 although a great piece of equipment, is for LE software. (IMO)

Back