may be a simple question about tracking....

thejeez

Ok. I'm new to this so maybe someone here can help me. I'll give you a step by step about what i've done so you can spot my mistake:

we have a behringer sl2442fx mixer that all the instruments are running into. from the subgroup outs are lines going into three seperate computers running soundforge 6. I have the guitar going to one pc, the bass to a second (both in 44khz 16 bit mono) and the vocals and drums into the third (16 bit 44khz stereo;left for drums, right for vocals). I record a song on all three pcs live. i cut the song to approximately the correct lengths. all four tracks are then loaded on my mixing pc in Sonar 4. I line up the beginnings of the tracks to get a preliminary mix, and everythings fine. but then i realized that by the end of an eight minute song, the tracks are out of synch by as much as six seconds.
to make sure that it isn't a sonar error, i load two of the four tracks in soundforge, line the beginnings up, and use the mix function. they still are not in synch, as if the wavs are recording at different speeds. Are wav files not really recorded at an absolute speed? do i have some settings wrong? this SHOULD be a simplistic task as far as i can tell, but it is driving me crazy. thanks for any help you can offer.

I don't have excellent hardware. I havn't gotten an sound card with seperate inputs yet, and i just had the pcs laying around. I figured i could, using what i have, begin to multitrack. we are not looking for extraordinary quality yet without further investment, but for learning more about this, i thought i could use each pc's full power and inputs to get the job done. when finances permit i am going to work on a better setup, but i hope i am not completely out of luck until then....

Um, I'd say the problem is different computers with different latencies? You got old computers they probably are distorting the sound a little bit when recording, not enough for you to notice maybe just using that one computer, but when matched up with different computers, you notice. Id say use your best computer and just track stuff individually. I know you'd rather do it live, but in this situation, best to track each instrument individually. Good Luck.

Ok; The Standout is a 1.3 Ghz Celeron w/512 megs ram, and IDE hard drives. If i get an M-Audio Delta 44 (which SEEMS like it will cover all of my needs) Should I be able to handle recording 4 tracks live in Sonar 4? and if i multitrack, will the card be able to play a track back while a new one is recorded?

Thats the most interesting recording technique/workaround I have ever heard of...lol

Nice one

Without breaking my head trying to think why some of your files are longer than others.

The good thing about a multi-track is that you can record take after take after take and layer each on top of the other. I'd recommend getting the best parts from all 3 computers and putting them all into one if you are fairly computer savvy. Then just do one track at a time. Sure it's not the same feel but this might work better in the long run. It will definitely save you a lot of work at the very least.

Back