this may have been asked a million times but...

Nitwit

i've been trying to find vocoder software that gives the famous effect used in older west coast music such as Tupac's California Love.....can anyone point me to software that'll produce that effect. No lie, I've been searching for a veeeeeeery long time and I can never find software that'll give me the effect I'm looking for.

thanks in advance

you were talking about that voice on the end of california love. its actualy sampled from a song called dance floor i think, but i know its by zapp & roger. a lot of hip hop producers have sampled elements from zapp & roger tracks. but i suppose this bring us back to square one because i am not sure how the voice for that was done.
peace

Nitwit said:
i'm not getting hardware...i think i mentioned that :rolleyes:

I was told about this at another site by about 10 replys, so I'm going with this. Native Instruments Vokator
Real producers play hardware and software. Is the hardware too much for ya lazy ass? or you just aren't a real producer and can't play any hardware. You won't make it sitting around on fruity loops all day dawg.

1st Family beats said:

Real producers play hardware and software. Is the hardware too much for ya lazy ass? or you just aren't a real producer and can't play any hardware. You won't make it sitting around on fruity loops all day dawg.

Is this really necissary? can't you guys just be nice to each other. What is it with you hip hop people? It's like you want to put other people down so it appears that your penis is bigger than everyone elses'. As someone with a whopping 2 posts to their name, I'd recommend you chill on the insults until you get a little more estabilished on this board.

Your friendly moderator,
Drew

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:

Is this really necissary? can't you guys just be nice to each other. What is it with you hip hop people? It's like you want to put other people down so it appears that your penis is bigger than everyone elses'. As someone with a whopping 2 posts to their name, I'd recommend you chill on the insults until you get a little more estabilished on this board.

Your friendly moderator,
Drew

No Doubt.

Lets put everybody down, and fuc* the world, and join a place where we're supposed to learn, and help eachother grow. YEAH! I'll be the one to fuc* you, and you, and You! Now let me tell you a little bit about this. This is a place, where we share ideas, to try to help eachother learn, and grow from that, not fuc* them with a broomstick, and walk away laughing...

I vote YOU off the island buddy.

Your friendly NONMODERATOR ASSHOL#

Chris

(BTW, peep out orange vocder, it isn't the best, but might bring you a somewhat decent effect)

Easiest way to get this effect (vocoder/talk box sound) is to use Cubase vocoder plugin. Basically, use te vocoder plugin, triggered by a midi keyboard, while enabling an audio in of a microphone. You get that great sound, plus the convenience of saving all of your settings once you get there. Generally that west coast **** is mood like triangle wave single osicallator mono lead joints, that were vocoder. The envelope of your microphone triggers when the notes you are playing on the keyboard stop/start. Check out the band, Air, they did some cool stuff with using other synth noises and chords, etc. The classic Talk Box sounds are great, but a pain to properly mic via Amps, etc.
The real classic **** is Roger Zapp though, like More Bounce to the Ounce, etc.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:

Your friendly moderator,
Drew

You would think that it has nothing to do with the type of music but more with the type of people. But hey I don't have as many posts as you so how would I know.

fts1981 said:

You would think that it has nothing to do with the type of music but more with the type of people. But hey I don't have as many posts as you so how would I know.

This type of people usually like that type of music. Just an observation since i've been here.

Sometimes, I just can't beleive how much people do not listen. Software can't do everything. - Hardware is still very vital.
But, true, if you base your whole studio off crack software-of course you don' t want to spend ANY money.

And to the guy, saying it is a "pain" to properly mic something...
My GOD, are we that f'in lazy now? Who the hell ever said this **** was supposed to be easy? Recording is an art-it ain't fast food.

peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com

orange vocoder .....vst effect ...can be midi controlled but take s time to master ...watch out for bad transients on some of the presets

peace

mazammit said:
you were talking about that voice on the end of california love. its actualy sampled from a song called dance floor i think, but i know its by zapp & roger. a lot of hip hop producers have sampled elements from zapp & roger tracks. but i suppose this bring us back to square one because i am not sure how the voice for that was done.
peace

Sorry to disagree, The vocals are redone for California Love. Though it is Roger and his talkbox (r.i.p.) you hear.

actually yeah it is redone because it goes 'shake it mama...shake it mama' etc. which isnt in the zapp n roger song. thanks for pointing that out. in that case, how do they actually get from the zapp and roger track to california love? or is it just redone completely?

peace

Back