Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximizer, Compressor, or Limiter?

Thanks

Maximizer, Compressor, or Limiter?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Out of the three listed, which one should be primarily used for making an instrument Clearer/louder? Im asking because i get different answers all of the time about each of them being the best to use .. thanks

Thanks
    To my understanding Limiter's/Maximiser's should almost exclusively be used on the master stereo track, or perhaps on samples that have a lot of dynamics.

Compressor's are the tool to use for single instruments/vocals/drums.

Of course there are no rules for making music, and you can use each of them in many different situations because each of them do different things. This is just the impression I have got by reading and experimenting.

Thanks
    Compressors and limiters are both used on vocals and drum buses. Usually compressors on other single instruments.
    Macbook Pro i7, Digi 002R, JBL LSR4328, CL7602 mic pre, SM7b, GT66, ProTools 10, Reason 5.

Thanks
    basically, a limiter is just a specialized compressor. and "maximizer" is a marketing name.

it's like asking: "What's better, a car, a four-by-four or a Chrysler?"

obviously, the answers you'll get won't be really informative. btw, none of the mentioned tools make your sound cleaner.

I run Tokyo Dawn Records. Check out my latest audio plug-ins over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs.

Thanks
    I only use single band compressors in mixing regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by alkota View Post
    Everyone is too worried about selling themselves before they even have a product that anyone wants.

Thanks
    whats the difference, if ther is any, between a limiter and maximizer?

Thanks
    A limiter allows you to make the track louder while limiting the peaks. The word maximizer is a marketing term for the limiter used to hook young producers that dont know any better. They look for something to make their tracks louder and they see limiter(boring to them) and then they see MAXIMIZER and they think "wow this would MAXIMIZE my music". Its only a term for a limiter to make it sound appealing or some ****.
    Last edited by ~X~; 02-03-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ~x~ View Post
    a limiter allows you to make the track louder while limiting the peaks. The word maximizer is a marketing term for the limiter used to hook young producers that dont know any better. They look for something to make their tracks louder and they see limiter(boring to them) and then they see maximizer and they think "wow this would maximize my music". Its only a term for a limiter to make it sound appealing or some ****.
    roflmaol hahahahahaha

Thanks
    So the limiter and maximizer are the exact same thing? and if they are, I should probably be using the limiter instead of the maximizer?

Thanks
    Look them up on wikipedia, that's what some of these humbug producers have done to attain their satirical knowledge.

Or ask in GC, ask your uber famous friend.

They aren't totally indifferent but they can be, depending on which controls they come with. Some maximisers are bundled into effects like harmonisers, things with resonance and exciters etc

Limiter is more traditional but they all offer some form of make-up gain, or just gain on the whole.

Thread Information