Mastering While Drunk

Has anyone noticed that their perception of frequency changes while they're drunk? I've notived for a while that while I'm mixing and mastering drunk ,I can't hear the highs as clear and as well as usual. Just an observation.

maybe you should change your name to fumbling on alcohol!

:) :D :cheers:

You have a point. After I quit drugs and smoking, alcohol was the only thing left. Now thats going out the window because I'm training for triathlons. I'm doomed to live the rest of my life sober.

Not only that -- your ears are much more susceptible to damage from loud sound when you're drunk. Turns out alcohol interferes with the ear's ability to protect itself.

Which seems like a cruel irony... since nothin' goes better with being drunk than some kind of loud music, whether it's techno or honky tonk...

fumbling

I read it in a few different articles on protecting your hearing. (Something I foolishly did little of and am now definitely paying for in terms of diminished high frequency perception -- and the cruelist irony -- pain when subjected to loud sounds. It's literally painful to just be around a rock drummer.)

But the sooner you start protecting your hearing the better it is. And you can recover some -- and develop coping strategies.

Since I stopped frequent clubbing (and have been rolling up my windows on the freeway) I've had a little recovery. But I've also had to begin reading lips, too. No kidding. It's more of a compensation thing for conversations in noisey places -- but it's something I had to do. People had started suggesting I get a hearing aid. (Again, no kidding!)

Get yourself some good ear plugs. And use them whenever you go clubbing or perform loud music. (Really.)

I don’t know if it relates to the topic but since I have started rolling my windows up while driving. And turn my headphones down I have noticed, that I pick up more sounds when I’m in Studio(so called) and music is too loud all the sudden in the car. I use to listen to everything At level 20 but now it's like 7.
Might sound little corny but.
Thanks to the people on FutureProducers for saving my hearing.

I was mastering a few months ago and I had a filter plugin going on my acid lead and I was on the last patch which is the really high squeeky acid to end the riff before the bass starts, I went to turn off the filter to save cpu till i'm done and I accidently clicked on hp 24 and for some odd reason insted of hearing it in high pass it was amplified so much I swear I almost lost my eardrums, ever since then without a fan or any noise at night to aid me I hear the high pitched tone when I close my eyes to sleep...and it never goes away...be carefull people because i'm sure its not just me and believe me its annoying

Rob

by the way listen to Josh Wink - higher state of conciousness when your drinking its the greatest sound in the world after a few slammers :D

Rob

Phatt

A hight pitched ringing is a sign of damage but it may well go away in time.

It's my understanding that the ringing is, in reality, sort of a feedback loop itself inside your ear (don't ask me how this is possible).

I'm occasionally subject to fairly prominent ringing in my ear (it comes and goes) and I definitely often able to get some immediate relief by gently manipulating the "tab" over the ear canal opening. I gently push the tab over the opening and gently massage up and down a little, sometimes applying a gentle pressure (you get the idea on the gentle thing here, yeah? :D ). Often as not I can get the ringing to diminish substantially. My hunch is that I'm breaking some kind of feedback loop in the inner ear... but I have no idea, anyhow.

This trick works more on the kind of intermittent chronic ringing that I get than on the ringing that is the aftermath of a "sonic insult" to the ear... but you may get some relief with my trick. Also, try to avoid situations where you have to strain to hear... this seems to bring an onset in ringing for me sometimes.

It's weird... I'd like to see some science on this one of these days.

Thanks for the tip blue i will definitly try it...I know what you mean I havn't seen anything on that subject before but it would be nice to see what science could tell us

rob:cheers:

You're right -- but off a letter -- it's tinnitus, which our friends at dictionary.com define as A sound in one ear or both ears, such as buzzing, ringing, or whistling, occurring without an external stimulus and usually caused by a specific condition, such as an ear infection, the use of certain drugs, a blocked auditory tube or canal, or a head injury.

Yeah, big ups theblue1 for the tip about having your windows cracked when driving. I remember that one from a post a while ago.

Protect your ears, once they go down hill, that's it. It doesn't get better. You can only try to cease or prolong future damage. This is really a topic that deserves more attention on sights such as this one.

Tinnitus sucks!

:(

Oh yeah, I can attest to your trick about massaging your ear to relieve some of the pressure and ringing. It's only temporary but it's nice to feel semi-normal, even if it is only short term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who I kind of feel sorry for is the dumb#sses in their bump trucks and supersonic jeeps who have obviously already thrashed their hearing -- you can tell since the treble is cranked through the sunroof. The coffeehouse I hang at has a sidewalk cafe along the side and these guys pull up and you expect the bump -- but what can be shocking is that some of them have the high end so jacked the hi hat feels like a laser slicing through your head -- and you're 60 or 70 feet away... since sound diminishes with the square of the distance (ie, a sound at 4 feet from the source is only 1/16 as loud as it is 1 foot from the source) -- that must be some insane stuff from the driver and passengers' seats...

you know sometimes I even wear my hi fi ear plugs when I go out , and when you fly they are essential....

I love music...but when im drunk my love for it kina goes away. I still love to dance and bob my head to it when drunk. But its hard for me to concentrate on what im actually listening to. When im high (on marijuana) i feel like i really hear every little detail in the music

Back