Mastering with Waves Bundle

R

roktapus

Is there a difference between running the mastering plugins (L1, Maxim, RCL, ect) as a real time plugin on a stereo Master track Vs. bouncing the mix without that and then processing the plugins and rebouncing?
Also, just a poll, what is your process for mastering a track? (using Waves)

I dont sequence too much on software. I do all my sequencing and recording on Hardware.

Mainly, I use Wavelab to Master my Stereo Tracks that were recorded on my Hardware.

I basically load my "Mixed Down" stereo track into WaveLab, and depending on whats lacking, I may use a little Renisannce Bass to fatten up the lower end. Next in line, would be LinMB compression, running just before L2.

Just a note: I like to render each step and save it as a different .wav file. This way I can always go back and follow my steps.

Each song is done differently, though. No set way to master a track!

I just put all my effects on the inserts.

Plugins on the master fader that I use.

1. eq(usually just roll off lows to make it less muddy.)
2. renaissance vox(sounds good and EASY to use, as master compressor)
3. IDR
4. S1 subtle improved setting
5. L1 maximizer

Killjoy said:
I just put all my effects on the inserts.

Plugins on the master fader that I use.

1. eq(usually just roll off lows to make it less muddy.)
2. renaissance vox(sounds good and EASY to use, as master compressor)
3. IDR
4. S1 subtle improved setting
5. L1 maximizer
sup man what does the S1 do? do you use the S1 imager? I dont have the subtle improvement setting on mine what are those settings? What kinda music you produce?

i'll always do my mastering away from my sequencer. usually using the audio montage function in wavelab.

benifits of using a dedicated mastering program (wavelab and soundforge) is the metering thats thrown in. it really helps to have pan and phase meters while mastering. forget the fft metering tho. when you start mastering or mixing with these you use you eyes, not your ears

but yeah, waves plugins are the bomb for mastering, especially if you buy the phase linear versions.

Disko

BThrowd said:

sup man what does the S1 do? do you use the S1 imager? I dont have the subtle improvement setting on mine what are those settings? What kinda music you produce?

Its the s1 shuffler, go to the load, and its the subtle preset, na I don't use the imager, the shuffler has that preset so I use that. I imagine it does the same thing though if u increase the range, on the imager, it pushes your stereo field farther so your mix gets a lil bit clearer.

Look for the s1 shuffler, if u don't have that i'll write down the numbers, but I think u must, if u have the imager.

I produce rap and r&b.

yea for some reason i dont have any presets stored on mine. If you dont mind writin down those numbers i would appreciate that dawg. Ive mess around with it a little but i really dont know what im doin.

in the s1 shuffler, leave everything the same and just change the shuffle to 1.6, instead of 1.0. Thats the preset, it should widen your stereo field a lil bit.

peace

Back