Mastering a beat with vocal or without?

Domenico97

Hello everyone,I'm a young beatmaker,i started just two months ago,I wanted know something about mastering my beat!
I make beat on fl studio,my friend is a rapper,and he use protools to record,now...
Before I send my beat to my friend,i need to mix and master my song on fl studio right??once the beat is done,I'll send to him,he is gonna import the beat on protools and record and after that he is going to do the master of the song with vocal!
I wanted know if you guys know if it works like this,I mean,someone told me that master of the song has to be done together with the vocal so that the whole song will be better,do you guys can tell me more about it?
Thank you

Hello everyone,I'm a young beatmaker,i started just two months ago,I wanted know something about mastering my beat!
I make beat on fl studio,my friend is a rapper,and he use protools to record,now...
Before I send my beat to my friend,i need to mix and master my song on fl studio right??once the beat is done,I'll send to him,he is gonna import the beat on protools and record and after that he is going to do the master of the song with vocal!
I wanted know if you guys know if it works like this,I mean,someone told me that master of the song has to be done together with the vocal so that the whole song will be better,do you guys can tell me more about it?
Thank you
yeah you are doing it wrong..you should just record everything and the next step is to mix all the tracks and finally mastering. There are different types of mastering, radio, stream, cd.. if your friend told you to mix and master before recording vocals the don't let him do the mastering, he is going to ruin it.

All you have to do is to record, then with all the tracks recorded you have to do the mixing (sound stage, gain staging, etc), and then finally with a neutral sound you have to do the mastering..

hope it helps..i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure it works like i describe it

greetings

Mastering = *Final* Production Process.

Add vocal (either to your unmixed tracks, then mix as a whole; or, less desireably, mix your tracks, them give him a stereo track to record to), Mix all elements, *then* Master!

GJ

I want to clarify the term "mastering" because often learning producers will call it "mastering" when they put compression and limiting on the mix bus, but this is not "mastering" as its known in a professional studio.

That being said it's not uncommon that an instrumental has signal processing and attenuation on the mix bus. In fact, in many cases it helps the track to be more transparent and have more consistent RMS levels which help the vocals sit better.

Now to answer your question, "do I "master" my beat before putting vocals on it?" The short answer is no. You can however put plugins a mastering engineer would use on the mix bus of your instrumental, but keep in mind your goal is to glue the elements of your instrumental together, not master your instrumental as a stand alone product.

Hope this helps, keep creating ?

Back