Mastering as basic as possible????

ess765

Please would anyone here advice me how to perform a real basic mastering on my trance track, just to add some volume (I use reason 3 rewired to cubase sx and when I export the audio it gets too low on volume).
Please I don t wanna become a mastering engineer. All I need is some basuc directions. I have adobe audition soft, and I also have the Izotope Ozone vst plug in.
How can I perform a basic mastering just to be able to burn a cd and listen to it to perform some mixing in my car stereo and other systems??
Please, I know all the history when people say that mastering is just not volume, and it s complex process and so on. All I wanna is some general tip to run my stereo whole track on a basic mastering.
If there s any preset in one of those programs that would make me not to take riscs and would improve my track I d be satisfied...

Could some one advice me in wich software to use and what kind of general settings should I do just to enhance a little my trance track?

I repeat: I m not looking for a final or professional mastering. All I need is the most basic mastering procedures and tips.

What kind of dynamic settings should I look for in order not to take big risks as a begginner??

My track is a litlle low on volume....

Quick cheezy way to make your tracks sound louder:

Drop the wav file in adobe audition

go to effects, amplitude, hard limiting (process)

Limit max to -.1

gather statistics (if you want) for a quick easy reference

boost your input to whatever you can without having serious clipping issues

check "link left and right.

and that concludes "Quick cheezy way to make your tracks sound louder" :)

oh and there's no basic preset you could just use. thats simply impossible. Best bet is to just do what I said above (hard limiting).

EVERY track is different therefore every mastering process will be different. I guess people have a hard time comprehending this (don't worry, it's not just you).

Yo I think I'll try that

Good lookin on the tip. Check my beats and let me know what's up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. OK, this'll work to start with. Get all your levels on your instruments about right with NO mastering plugins loaded. Hit play, and load up Ozone into your master channel. Go to Loudness Maximizer, and select "Brickwall". Then drop the threshold slider till you notice the sound is starting to distort. Push it up until it's sounding fat, but not clipping. Next go to your Parametric EQ, and play with the EQ until it's sounding about ballanced. Go back to your Loudness Maximizer and adjust it if you need to. You can then try sweetening the sound a bit with the Multiband Exiter. Experiment by pushing up the excitation on the two right hand bands and see what you get. You may want to go back to your EQ now and drop down the high end a notch. Then finnally go back to your Loudness Maximizer and set it again if needs be.

Mastering is an itterative process - it's a complex excersise that takes into account many variables. There's a **** load more to it than that of course, but that should get you started.

Dan

Back