Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master Chain

Thanks

Master Chain

Sign in to disable this ad
    What does your master chain usually look like? This is specifically regarding hip hop, but other input is good as well.

Thanks
    Sausage Fattener.
    Then, another Sausage Fattener.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Tristan View Post
    What does your master chain usually look like? This is specifically regarding hip hop, but other input is good as well.
    Do a lot of hip hop. Mostly a Knif Soma tube Eq and Tube Tech Smc2B compressor, Mytek converters,
    Waves Eq & De-esser and a Fab Filter limiter.

Thanks
    My default is Izotope stereo tools, U-he Presswerk, and DMG Limitless. FabFilter EQ if I need it.
    Sometimes something else to drive it a little into Presswerk.

Thanks
    Don't know much mastering but after I'm done making a beat [If it's fl studio]
    I use the stock plugins/effects.

I do use thirdparty synths though like zebralette & nexus.
    If talking bout vst daws.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzmastering View Post
    Do a lot of hip hop. Mostly a

Knif Soma tube Eq
    Tube Tech Smc2B compressor
    Mytek converters
    Waves Eq & De-esser
    Fab Filter limiter
    Knif Soma tube Eq - Nice
    Tube Tech Smc2B - Nice
    Mytek converters - Why
    Waves Eq & De-esser - Why
    Fab Filter limiter - Why

I have not used Mytek converters, but I have heard the Mytek 192 ones. How much headroom (in dBu) can you get from your Myteks and what is the model you are using?

In my view you should immediately remove the Waves EQ/De-esser and Fab Filter processing from your master chain.
    Last edited by DarkRed; 01-15-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRed View Post
    Knif Soma tube Eq - Nice
    Tube Tech Smc2B - Nice
    Mytek converters - Why
    Waves Eq & De-esser - Why
    Fab Filter limiter - Why

I have not used Mytek converters, but I have heard the Mytek 192 ones. How much headroom (in dBu) can you get from your Myteks and what is the model you are using?

In my view you should immediately remove the Waves EQ/De-esser and Fab Filter processing from your master chain.
    I don't really mix anymore, so this isn't part of a mix session. It's a dedicated mastering chain as that's 95% of what I do.
    That probably explains the de-esser and limiter, which is needed for mastering.

Anytime you use analog hardware, you need to have converters to run it through, and the Mytek are clean and transparent.
    I use the Mytek 8x192 for the analog loops and a Mytek Stereo 192-DSD Dac for monitoring.

For the times I do mix which I did for over a decade before switching exclusively to mastering, I rarely use anything on the master channel and sort of think you should keep the 2 processes (mixing and mastering) separate as it seems you are suggesting.
    I was never a fan of trying to mix and master in the same session as it forms bad habits and is sort of like trying to ice a cake while it's still in the oven.

In a mix session, having an eq and compressor I think is common, but you shouldn't have to throw the kitchen sink on there, or else
    that means the mix itself could be a little whack. ..anyway, sorry for any confusion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to waltzmastering For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzmastering View Post
    I don't really mix anymore, so this isn't part of a mix session. It's a dedicated mastering chain as that's 95% of what I do.
    That probably explains the de-esser and limiter, which is needed for mastering.

Anytime you use analog hardware, you need to have converters to run it through, and the Mytek are clean and transparent.
    I use the Mytek 8x192 for the analog loops and a Mytek Stereo 192-DSD Dac for monitoring.

For the times I do mix which I did for over a decade before switching exclusively to mastering, I rarely use anything on the master channel and sort of think you should keep the 2 processes (mixing and mastering) separate as it seems you are suggesting.
    I was never a fan of trying to mix and master in the same session as it forms bad habits and is sort of like trying to ice a cake while it's still in the oven.

In a mix session, having an eq and compressor I think is common, but you shouldn't have to throw the kitchen sink on there, or else
    that means the mix itself could be a little whack. ..anyway, sorry for any confusion.
    Thank you, this explains it well and no it's not confusing at all, one of the best posts I've read in a long time here. When I wrote the whys I understood why you do this type of processing at mastering, to me however I did not understand why you chose the Mytek for the conversion process and these software effects for the eq, de-essing and limiting processes. That combo degrades the sound quite a lot. This could of course be stuff that you are already aware of, maybe are saving money for hardware instead... Just wanted to sort of flag that this combo is working against you quite a lot in my opinion. But good that you have that tube hardware in there, that definitely helps you.

Thanks
    What do you use for mastering DarkRed?
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    I do not have a single static setup, but these are the tools that I am primarily using for each component within my mastering chain at this time:

01) Leveler/Gain: Brainworx bx_Control V2

02) Warmth/Saturation: IK Multimedia Saturator X, iZotope Ozone 7 Vintage Tape, iZotope Ozone 7 Exciter, Metric Halo Character or PSP Mix Saturator 2

03) Main/Character EQ: Elysia Museq Master, IK Multimedia Master 432, iZotope Ozone 7 Vintage EQ, PSP Audioware MasterQ2 or SPL Passeq

04) Surgical/Corrective EQ: Fabfilter Pro-Q2, iZotope Ozone 7 Dynamic EQ or PSP Audioware Neon HR

05) Stereo Enhancement: iZotope Ozone 7 Imager or IK Multimedia Quad Image

06) Compressor: Elysia Alpha Master, IK Multimedia Precision Comp/Limiter, PSP Audioware MasterComp, Softube 1973 Drawmer or Vertigo VSC-2

07) Limiter/Dither: PSP Audioware Xenon, IK Multimedia Stealth, iZotope Ozone 7 Maximizer or iZotope Ozone 7 Vintage Limiter

08) Referencer: Sample Magic A/B 2 [Removed Before Mixdown]

09) Meter: iZotope Insight [Removed Before Mixdown]

10) Codec Checker: Sonnox Fraunhofer Pro-Codec [Removed Before Mixdown]

Please note that I use aforementioned mastering chain for R&B, Neo-Soul, Gospel and Jazz because those are the genres that I focus on. However, I would use it also for Hip Hop or any other genre.
    Last edited by TedH03; 01-18-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Formatting changes

Thread Information