Making a vocal louder in a final mix?

Jaiz

Hey I have a lot of songs that I no longer have the mixing sessions for. With some of them the vocals are too low, and I've been trying to find ways to make them louder without messing up the mix. I use Adobe Audition 1.5 to mix and have experimented with the center channel extractor, but no matter what I try it ends up messing up the mix. I also have a collaborated song where the other emcee's vocals on his verse is mixed louder than mine which I would like to be leveled with my verses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You're not going tone able to do it without altering the mix in some way. I would suggesting using a frequency analyser to try and identify which frequencies are most prominent during the vocal sections, and using a graphic EQ to pull those frequencies up (with a very narrow Q). If other instruments in the mix use that frequency space though, you are going to effect them too.

Without the mixing session nothing is going to be a great fix.

Compression -6db/-8db, ratio 1:4, 10ms attack, fast release.

Then check where vocal is most prominent, probably somewhere around 1000hz till 1500hz en give it a boost of 2db with a wide Q.

If you waves, put also RVocal on it, now your vocal seems to be ''louder'' without actually going op alot in db, so it wont mess up your mix.

Goodluck

You're not going tone able to do it without altering the mix in some way. I would suggesting using a frequency analyser to try and identify which frequencies are most prominent during the vocal sections, and using a graphic EQ to pull those frequencies up (with a very narrow Q). If other instruments in the mix use that frequency space though, you are going to effect them too.

Without the mixing session nothing is going to be a great fix.

What I was gonna say. All you can do now is mess around with EQ frequencies to try and bring up the vocals. But you're not gonna be able to get it as good as you want.

Another option you could try would be if you re-recorded the vocal and doubled it over top of the vocal on the existing track. But thats gonna be hard to mix a single vocal stem into a complete track stem. Im just spitballing here you probably won't be able to mix it good.

Last edited:
Hey I have a lot of songs that I no longer have the mixing sessions for. With some of them the vocals are too low, and I've been trying to find ways to make them louder without messing up the mix. I use Adobe Audition 1.5 to mix and have experimented with the center channel extractor, but no matter what I try it ends up messing up the mix. I also have a collaborated song where the other emcee's vocals on his verse is mixed louder than mine which I would like to be leveled with my verses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why not re-rap the verse and layer it on top of your parts?
or, if you can recreate the beat you can invert it to get an acapella and mess with it how you like and layer.

If the mixdown is below 160kbps mp3 quality you can not make vocals more than 15% better, if at all.
If the mixdown is anything above that you can do a little. [Before I learned of partitions I lost some really old flps twice years ago]
I would probably attempt to clear out some of the louder frequencies with a very narrow, very very narrow wideness setting on an equalizer if I were you.

But it would be better if possible to redo the project, and make sure it's saved to a partition outside of windows the next time [D:,E: etc windows doesnt even touch those when resetting a harddrive but backups are still good to keep]

Back