making an electronic DJ mix sound better

Q

Quixotic

i've been recording sets from vinyl to wav files, and i've noticed that the sound is not quite the same as a professionally mastered CD mix. pro CD's, say if you hear a Digweed or Oakie mix, tend to sound fatter and have a bigger sound overall. my mixes sound thinner and not as full, even if i'm spinning the same record.

I'm not experienced at all with mastering or sound editting, i've just messed around with CoolEdit a little bit. what simple improvements can i do to improve the sound of my recorded mixes? is it compression? eq-ing?

thanks! :hello:

thanks PopD for the reply :cheers:

i guess my question is a little different, since i'm not actually producing any tracks. i've just recorded a one hour set i mixed from vinyl onto a wav file. i'm not looking to make major changes to the sound, but for example, if i had a certain track on my mix, and i hear that same track on a Digweed CD, it tends to sound fatter and fuller on the Digweed CD. i'm just wondering if that difference is the result of highly skilled engineers at work or if there's some simple things like adding compression or messing with the eq that are used in general to fatten up a mix when you record from vinyl.

thanks!

-highly skilled audio engineers, and pro tools to mix. Even if they don't use protools, they probably record in 20-bit resolution or DAT, using top of the line cables, tts, and needles.

-I think the same things "compression, audio expansion, normalization" apply to master mixes as they do to tracks.

-warning: I streamed a set off of dj-sets.com and recorded it as a ~500 meg wav file. I tried applying some stereo effect to it in WL, and I didn't have enough memory (128meg), including virtual memory.

*bump*

*bump*

(I bumped this here because I hit that damn "new topic" button) Oops! :eek:

I would aggree with PopD. All these things will make your audio sound more rich and fuller. Music is music regardless of whether your just producing a track or are recording your set.

If anything, at least add compression to the whole thing, to de-emphisize/emphisize the right frequencies, and tweak with the eq. I always try do to that and then maximize the loudness and sound levels as much as I can without getting any clipping since that leaves these nasty artifacts. (Or as I would call them, ArteFarkts).

If you have actual moniters and not speakers those will help with the proccess. Other than that you can just try to get everything to sound like another CD that you have using the same proccess above. (I don't have monitors anymore cuz mine are screwed, so I try to get everything to be leveled like some of these Gatecrasher CDs I got laying around.)

Well that's my two pennies. Hope it helps.

Cheers m8!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back