Making the 808 Stand Out in the Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

trjeam

Whenever I use the 808 it seems to get lost in my mix and you can barely hear it.

The reason for this is because the 808 is so low; but what I don't understand is how others are able to use it and make it stand out with out loosing that bass..

I've tried layering, EQ, & compression but I'm not getting what I want.

I was looking through myspace and found what I'm talking about:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=95427954

If you listen to his 500 degrees you'll hear that the 808 has that punch that makes it stand but it also has that bass.

lil jon is also a good example of what i'm looking for.

I'm not sure if this is a EQ problem, layering problem, or a stereo imaging problem or what..

any help?

he just has a kick layered on top of it. i use the kick lil jon uses on bia bia when i layer kicks and 808s.

jaybizzle3000 said:
he just has a kick layered on top of it. i use the kick lil jon uses on bia bia when i layer kicks and 808s.

so he just layers a kick on top of it to add that punch wich will make it stand out?

I've heard some people talking about layering toms over it.

that can work too but i dont like how it sounds with toms. just use a light kick that isnt bass heavy that has a nice mid frequency range presence. like the kick from "bia bia".

peep the 808s in on my second and third tracks on the myspace. I just downlaoded the same freebies on the web that have been available for years. I also got samples I got off an actual 808. Google better 808s

i messed around with 808 kick but it just doesnt work for me.

turn everything else down until the 808's come thru the way you want....then compress that stereo mix or better yet have it mastered

i just dont use em becouse i dont make tracks that need 808's i like my boom bap drums, there really isent an alternative tho.

But take that 808 dude, layer a muffled kinda drum behind it, raise the low on that drum a lil bit, for that thump sound, compresse it, compress your 808 with a slow attack on it......(i hate explaining compression cause i cant, i just know how to do it lol if its not accurent correct me pleaze) with a real fast release, so you can get that full 808 sound.

All this is great, but the easiest way is just get a good 808 sample. Where did you get your 808 from. You get a good kick, they've already compressed EQ'd and normalized the volume for you. The ones on the Triton and Motif need nothing else done to them. Even the ones in FL "BD_2.wav" and the ones in Reason are good to go. It's all about where you got the sample you're using. And you may just be turning everything else up too loud.

Last edited:
layer a kick normal kick (pick one to go with ur track) with an 808

the kick and 808 will give the Boom and the 808 will extend the end

KICKKKKKKkkk <-- an example

basiclly 2 kicks. also throw in a EQ mess witht he mids. dont let your kick be to low. you should get into some mixing and learn how ur highs mids and lows work

^^^I think you dudes are overloading his brain. He doesn't want a layered Raekwon "Glaciers of Ice" kick. He want a simple Lil' Jon 808 that comes straight off a triton. If this is the sound you want...Listen to what I'm saying. If not try another option.

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^I think you dudes are overloading his brain. He doesn't want a layered Raekwon "Glaciers of Ice" kick. He want a simple Lil' Jon 808 that comes straight off a triton.

Actually noone has said anything complicated. All the suggestions have worked.

I don't know what the triton or motif 808 sound like.

but yeah, layering and compressing the **** right helped make it stronger. I've always EQ'ed my 808's,

but really what helped the most was adjusting the levels of the other instruments. That really made the most difference. it makes the 808 stand out and makes it sound like it has it's own little space in the frequency range.

Check the audio I put above. No compression or EQ. If yours knocks better than that, run with it, I just hate that people up here complicate production. thats a 20 second pattern with a limiter on it before I began making the beat.

I will be posting an 808 kit tomorrow or tonight. I will also be posting a kit for Reason with everything layed out how I use it and everything.

And 808's are great for stacking if it is done properly. You could also use an 808 that has a better attack. I have multi-sampled 808 not to mention more variations than anyone. I even have 808's from a guy that built his own 808 machine and improved the s/n ratio and the circut to give a cleaner sound.

My 808's are extremely clean and nice sounding but they are also extremely dry so they also need to be eq-ed and compressed to get them to sound like 808's that are on song's that you love. I'm also working on some beat tutorial videos that should be done soon.

The thing with the deep 808 is is start to clash with other low sounds so you have to EQ, not just the kick but the other instruments.

Look for the major frequency in the kick and cut it from the clashing instrument.

Sometimes if that wont work i change the pitch of the kick.

noblewordz said:
The thing with the deep 808 is is start to clash with other low sounds so you have to EQ, not just the kick but the other instruments.

Look for the major frequency in the kick and cut it from the clashing instrument.

Sometimes if that wont work i change the pitch of the kick.

i've also noticed that 808 distorts(muddy like) when played loudly.. is this normal? I don't hear 808 distort is professional recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back