Low cut....

J

js41891

When trying to make sure sounds don't mask the bass or kick... considering my kick and bass both don't go pass the 500-520 range, should I lowcut the synths and stuff at 520 or go maybe a little lower like around 400?

Ehh a little lower would be ok. I personally want there to be some overlapping frequencies in my different tracks, as there are plenty of other ways to distinguish instruments apart from one another.... such as stereo panning, distance (verb), volume, dynamic range (amt of compression), and not to mention the rhythms and pitches being played. The composition shouldnt have too much competition among different instruments in the same frequency ranges to begin with.

Still, I understand your goal of keeping the low end mud-free. Some blending makes things, erm, blend. I would try High Passing (low cutting) around 400 like you said, though it depends on the instrument and what it's playing. Try using a HPF with less steep of a rolloff, so those frequencies arent entirely cut right away, but gradually decrease in volume.. Or just scoop the lows to taste with a parametric equalizer... use your ears!

Your kicks and basses most definitely have content over 500Hz. Do not cut these frequencies away in this case. As Today said, roll off the highs with an EQ when really required.

Low passing low frequency instruments/sounds is a very bad habit. remove all frequencies above the fundamental and you'll end up with a sine. The most boring sound on earth, the "bass" sound with the lowest impact you can get in the universe. So, you might reconsider your low pass activities ;)

Sines seem to hit just fine on my sub ;]

But yes, i see your point, too low passed kicks sound like you're outside the club :\

When u wanna be INside.

Wow thanks guys I wasn't expecting answers like these.. I was expecting answers more along the lines of "google it", "this question has been asked like 500 times"... but anyway thanks a lot I appreciate it and we need more people like you guys on this site

no worries mate... sometimes I seem to enjoy talking production even more than doing it ..

Not a good thing, i know. But sometimes hearing myself try to explain something makes it so much clearer to myself. even if i couldn't help the other person ;]

And Idk if you do this with yoru other isntruments but it's not really a good habit to think one instrument starts a 1k so I'm gonna cut this instrument of there to give it room.

Boosting and cutting particuler freqs in each sound will get you the clarity you need most times without the 2 sounds sounding boring or unnatural.

And Idk if you do this with yoru other isntruments but it's not really a good habit to think one instrument starts a 1k so I'm gonna cut this instrument of there to give it room.

Boosting and cutting particuler freqs in each sound will get you the clarity you need most times without the 2 sounds sounding boring or unnatural.

yea thanks wedge appreciate it

Back