Looking to purchase microphone.

That is a very vague question. What are you trying to record? Vocals, instruments, nature, etc...? For vocals it then comes down to the average pitch of the people that you will be recording. I currently own 8 different microphones and i am constantly out looking for more that excel at certain freq. that my current mics do, but dont excel at. A good place to start is to come up with a budget and then lots of reading of reviews on as many websites that you can find. A good place that i start is amazon, since they do sell almost everything, and then from there i read reviews and ask local producers if they have or currently own that mic. Talking to the people at the music equipment stores does no good. They are out ot just get a sale and, in all honesty, have not one clue about the product they are selling. Every mic is different, even if it is the same model and everything. Once you get one, start using it and testing it out. A "good" producer can take a basic mic and make it sound amazing. But, major label studios actually have a cabinet or two full of mics and the engineer knows the pros and cons of each one.

I started out with a used Rode NT2 14 years ago and I still use it. Great value for the money. I haven't tested the predecessor NT2 A, though. Rode and Studio Electronics are two brands that seem to have a good price performance ratio. Also have a look at Oktava mics.

Generally speaking a good mic is an investment for years to come. And the better the mic the easier it makes your life after the recording. So don't be too cheap with your mic decision. But also don't overthink it. Keep moving forward as you'll be most certainly buying other/more expensive mics with increased skills anyway;-)

The reason a person or studio might want an army of mics is that you can use a mic to act as EQ without actually introducing the phase effects of an EQ. I once saw a nifty matrix of over 40 mics that identified them on a scale of dark to bright, and clean to colored. Past a certain price point, that's really how you should think of it.

If you want one mic to do everything, I think your safest bet is a large diaphragm condenser. A good condenser mic is the go-to choice for most instruments in a studio setting.

I second labeat: Rode provides good bang for the buck. I really like my NT1A for the price.

No acoustic treatment---I recommend a dyanamic mic, and the Cloudlifter if using audio interface preamps.
If you can get some sort of treatment, then consider Condenser mic. Not etched in stone rules.
Dynamic mics that are directional polar patterns(not omnidirectional) can minimize room tone problems.

SM7B is a good all around mic.

Back