LFO Settings and effects

cyptm

Hey FP. mmmmmm I notice alot of samplers if not all have an LFO section. I usually get weird results when I play with settings. What I want to know is; what it stands for, and what is its use. ALso, what are the different knobs for, and what do they do? I want to be able to professionally manipulate the LFO, knowing what I'm doing as opposed to
just guessing. Im looking for consistent results. Thanks in advance!

LFO stands for Low Frequency Oscillator. Basically it oscillates at inaudible frequencies, where the wavelenghts are so long the single cycles can easily be discerned from each other. It can be used as a modulating source for various purposes - a simple tremolo effect (modulating the amplitude of a sound with the LFO) or vibrato (modulating the pitch) are probably the clearest examples. Putting it on your filter cutoff is also very common, causing something like an auto-wah effect.

Depending on your gear, you might have a multitude of LFOs at your disposal, which can be assigned to just about anything...even to each other in some cases. This can cause very weird and wonderful effects that evolve over a long period of time.

Also see: Wikipedia definition of LFO

Back