Level the beat and vocals..

A

Abd07

Hi

Im using Cubase, and i've learned alot with using fx etc.

But my question this time is:

How can i make the vocal and beat at the same level?

Or shouldn't it be at the same level?

I mean like the Jay Sean songs or any other songs it sounds like the vocal just is in the beat if u understand:P

thx in advance, and sry for my bad english

It is moe than just "levels"... You need to mix all the tracks (each instrument and the vocal) together so they blend properly. This is where the processing comes in... Eq, compression, fx...

And you need to develop an ear and technique... As well as skill with the processors and an understanding of what they do and how they work.

I think what you're looking for is mixing, not volume levels.

What you're gonna be doing is making space in the beat for the vocals.

Picture it kind of like putting a brick in a bucket of water, the brick displaces enough water from the bucket for it to fit.

The brick would be your vocals and the bucket of water is the rest of the song.

Last edited:

Picture it kind of like putting a brick in a bucket of water, the brick displaces enough water from the bucket for it to fit.

:bigeyes:

Thats a real good example. i couldnt explain it any better than that

alot of guys on here seem to like using keying/ducking to get vocals to sit right on a beat. i don't endorse that, but it might work for you.

i use a high pass filter set around 250-300hz alot , sometimes no, it depends.
if the beat isn't mixed well it's going to be harder to find a pocket for your vocals.

What you need is tracked out beats, not just a beat on an mp3 or a wav, all the instruments as single .wav files so you can eq, automate, compress perfectly to match your vocal tone and your intent of the song...

than you need to learn how to mix to do this.

I understand this, sometimes you dont have the tracked out files, like if you remixing a commercial song for a mixtape. I find it hard to mix them too, the furthest ive gone with keying is a kick and bass. Could anyone explain how you could do this in cubase, and suggest a VST I could use?

I understand this, sometimes you dont have the tracked out files, like if you remixing a commercial song for a mixtape. I find it hard to mix them too, the furthest ive gone with keying is a kick and bass. Could anyone explain how you could do this in cubase, and suggest a VST I could use?

What do you mean by keying and ducking?

What do you mean by keying and ducking?

it's the process of sidechaining a compressor so that your main vocal track engages the compressor (you've put over the stereo track of your instrumental) so that the beat is compressed a bit whenever signal from your vocal track passes the threshold you've determined on your compressor.

again, i don't endorse this technique (for vocals) - but it might work for you

Okei now i see everyone accepts with you there, so im sure u have the right answer.

But what do you mean with space in the beat for the vocals? i know what space means ofc. but like, i dont make the beats myself.. so?

My point is isn't there programs like Vocal Rider which could help?

Thx in advance.. and sorry for not understanding.. im from Norway

Back