Letting a Song Go

Midescent

Does anyone else have trouble with being completely finished with a new song? I just sent in a finished track to Apple Music / Spotify after a year of writing, debating, and rewriting but even after many music colleagues have complimented me on it, I still feel like there is always something I can tweak or do differently with it. How do you know when it's time to let the song go and have the public hear it?

It takes a lot of practice to learn where the point is where putting in more effort won't really help the record - or further tweaking will actually HURT the record. The more experience you have, the easier this will become. One thing you can do is to give yourself a time deadline. Like it's gotta be done by Feb 1st. That's how it is working with major labels - there's a deadline and whatever state it's in is what it is often. The other thing you have to do is realize that there will always be another song. Anything you don't like on this song is something to do better on the next song. You have to constantly be in a state of thinking forward to the next song and growing with each one. That makes it a little easier to let a song leave the nest.

dont be too precious about one song, I make about 40 per year and most will never be heard....with each track you make, alone or in bands you are constantly upgrading your skills. You won't lose them unless you party too hard.......

Back