Is layering really the answer for a big sound?

Daniel Carroll

Layering synths, should you layer a lot for a huge synth? And should all the synths have the same parameters, attack, release, decay so they are close in sync? How do you know when your synth is right because soetimes I think I made a great synth then the next day I open the project and it sounds weak.

No, I definitely wouldn't say so. Big sound is about a good balance of instruments. A lot of big-sounding songs are made up of a lot of tiny-sounding instruments if you were to hear some of the sounds solo.

Compression and EQ alone won't get you there. A good composition is very key.

i don't really layer my sounds
but i may want to add something for example a deep bass may sound cool but i may want some high frequencies, i can use little distortion or maybe use a second synth to add something

Layering does help, imo. What you wanna do is layer different sounds and play with the frequencies of each sound to fill in where the others don't. Many people in pop and edm layer their sounds with a deep bass. They may copy and paste the pattern of a melodic synth on a bass sound and just go down an octave to fill in the lower frequencies. That's how 99% of Pop songs are made actually. The basslines are always so simple in pop and edm to me. Probably because I play bass guitar. Big sounds are usually about getting the right harmonies in the lower frequencies.

yes don't be afraid to keep pasting copies of tracks. Keep adding till its too full.

then work backwards from there

Last edited:
Of course you layer. But not always. With basslines layers are extremely beneficial. You can have one for sub and the other 'sound' or 'feel'. But carefully layering synth leads etc because they may start to clash. You have to use your ear brother

I like using three oscillators:

1st synth- main synth that has the main sound I desire.
2nd synth - slightly lower in pitch, typically a different waveshape
3rd sytnh - slightly higher in pitch, typically a different waveshape

As far as ADSR settings, they're manipulated to taste.

Great sounding sources (no matter if they are layered, taken from vst instruments or a mic)
and proper mixing is the way to your big sound :)

You can't turn sh*t to gold, so spend time on your sources and on the sources of your layers too!

No, I definitely wouldn't say so. Big sound is about a good balance of instruments. A lot of big-sounding songs are made up of a lot of tiny-sounding instruments if you were to hear some of the sounds solo.

Compression and EQ alone won't get you there. A good composition is very key.

I agree with this. I also think a lot of what makes something sound "big," is how prominent in the spectrum it is. Two massive sub bass typed synths played together wont sound big, they'll sound actually pretty weak and wimpy. Carving out space for your one "big," sound with EQing other sounds is a good way to help make it feel bigger, and in the case of a synth a lot of distortion or saturation can do the trick :)

Back