Latency...

DaJacker

O.K. here is the scoop. Before I recorded multitracks with no problems but I recently had to reinstall the O/S on my computer. Now since this was done, everytime I try to record in a multi-track environment, I get constant latency. I tested with two different multi-tracking programs and both give me the same exact latency at the same exact point. It starts to go off around 25 seconds into the mix. I am almost certain it's the driver on the sound card that is doing this. The card I am using is SB Live! on a Windows 98 SE PIII o/s. I reinstalled the software and drivers using the CD that came with the sound card three times but with no luck. I even tried to change the IRQ settings as well. Please help as this is driving me crazy!!!

get rid of your SB live drivers and install the EMU APS drivers, you'll get 8ms latency (basicly realtime)
i cant belive hoe fantastic they are.. and you can record multiple ins at the same time.
go here: http://come.to/sblive

Thanks Sorridsky for your reply. I will look into this. But before I start installing new drivers, does anyone know if the BIOS can be configured to grately reduce the latency. And if so, how would this be done.

I am open to suggestions.

Not as far as I know , and my sincere advice would be if you have to ask questions about mucking around in the BIOS , don't do it.

WILL THESE HELP ME ?

Where do i get the E-mu drivers, i have an SB Live which causes me problems when recording into Cubase.

The problem i get is latency at the beginnning of my recording, a gap appears which means i have to re-edit/cut my recordings as one big sample which you can imagine is hit and miss when dealing with multiple tracks.

Will the E-mu drivers help sort this out ?

Rich.

install the aps drivers it wont hurt yr system... and if u dont like them u can just reinstall the sb live drivers . They are ASIO drivers u get 8 ms latency which is real time. all i can say is that they are the best thing ever because i was going to have to buy a new sound card until i discovered these and now i have real time monitering and 3 ins and 2 outs., but its no substitute for a professional card. but to get this kind of performance and usability u have 2 pay a lot more than using the SB live and E-mu drivers. Good Luck!! i am still a novice but they serve me well.

Does anyone else use them???:monkey:

Check them out! I just redid my system from the ground up using those drivers and shiiiiiiiit do they ever run smooth! Anyone doing music with an SB Live should get rid of the crappy creative drivers now! Thanks for the tip sorridsky, you da man! :D
-mj-

I tried to install the driver on my pc in the c:\windows\system directory. After I rebooted, my pc never detected the driver. Can someone please tell me how I should install the driver that Sorridsky mentioned on a Windows 98 o/s.

go to device manager.. delte all the SB live options, install the driver then restart.. dont place it anywhere...
it explains how to do it on the site.
it will set it self up...
i think thats how to do it, but check the website

MODULAR JACK : out of interest, did you delete all the SB live software aswell as the driver? ive left mine on as i didnt know if i should.. should i uninstall everyhting by live and creative in the "add/remove programs?"
also, have have you set up the cross mixer, and what dpoes the APS mixer do?
my friend set mine up and i dont want to tamper, but i want t get the best out of it i can.
cheers.

I actually formatted the hard drive with my OS, and redid it from scratch so there's no creative software anywhere on the system. I was due for a rebuild anyways (I also added another 20gig hard drive, and removed my dusty old modem to keep my PCI bus as free as possible) and redoing your sys reallllly helps performance out.

The APS mixer lets you add EMU effects to different channels and whatnot... And I'm not 100% sure what you mean about the crossmixer. I'm at work right now so I can't look at what all is set up, but I'll have a look tonight and post again.
-mj-

the "crossmixer" is the inout selector for ins and outs, wondering how you have yours set up?
ooooh good, does that mean i can uninstall all the creative stuff from the add/remove programs?
and if i do will i still be bale to play games?
cheers bud.

Ohhh yeah, that thing. It's kinda confusing and took me a bit to get it running right, but basically you gotta select both left and right if you want to record both sides of your line/cd/whatever inputs. I think it's kind of a pain to have to click both channels, but maybe somebody out there could find it useful to realtime record different things onto different channels... say a guitar and a bass merged into a L/R signal or something.

I'm still not totally sure what the hell all those extraneous arrows going up and down and all over the damn place are, but I got it workin to record from internal wav (sampling winamp) and my hardware mixer with all my gear dangling off it (line in), so I think I'm good to go now.

And yeah, toast all that annoying crap creative dumped onto your hard drive. Unless you need it for something specific, it's just wasting space. Your games will run fine, and the worst that could happen is you'll have to tweak some audio preferences in different apps so they know where to send audio.

DaJacker: Remove all mention of sb live/creative in your device manager (right click on My Computer -> properties). Run the installer, but tell it to install somewhere other than c:\windows\system say c:\Program Files\apslive. Reboot. Then, go into device manager again, and do the update driver thing on the sound video & game controllers. Choose a location, and tell it to get the inf file from c:\program files\apslive. Reboot again, and you should be in bidness. All of this is on the Installation page on their site, have you read that and the FAQs?
-mj-

yes ive removed everyhting from the device manager
but i still have some creative software on here.. listed in "add/remove" software in control panel.
should i get rid of that?

APS and A3D

guys... a little suggestion.
before you install the APS drivers -
uninstall Creative's junky drivers completely:
1) from Control Panel->Add/Remove Software->blabla
reboot, and skip detection of the new hardware
2) look in the device manager - if u see some live stuff - just delete it.
3) remove all the creative's addons to the registry
reboot.
when windows detects something, cancel it, enter the windows.

then install the APS.

P.S.
another thing .... stop calling this program "Windows 98 SE" an "OS"
it is not "OS" :-)

Cheerz

How come the EMU drivers work with a Creative card?, are they the same card?, just wondering

The core chip of the Sb Live is an EMU10k1, that's why.
Maybe you know, maybe you don't, but some time ago Creative bought EMU, so they started using their chips in the SB's.
Creative is launching a new range called Audigy. They will use the new EMU10K2. Looks like Sb Lives, but there's one that goes further : Audigy Platinum Ex. Stated as semi-pro. Seems nice. Dunno if they have direct support for Asio though.
Go to the soundblaster homepage for more info.

As for the latency, I don't have a creative card, but a hercules one (optical ins and outs very nice). By setting up two hardware profiles (one for normal use, and one for audio), I'm able to get about 20-30 ms latency. Not bad for a non-asio card I think.

Back