Thread: Kick and Bass separation

Thanks

Kick and Bass separation

Sign in to disable this ad
    Where should the kick and bass filter cut offs be placed to have everything in its own space?

Thanks
    here's the thing: a kick drum is usually higher than a low bass note in fundamental frequency, so it is not going to work like that

• a kick drum can have a fundamental freq of between 60Hz and 120hz depending on how tight it is tuned
      • you then get additional freqs tied to beater material (leather/felt/wood) and any patches that may be at the spot where the beater hits the surface of the drum
      • so your kick drum can have additional peak freqs around 1kHz and even up into the 3kHz range depending on the nature of the materials in use
    • a bass guitar and any other bass synth can have a fundamental freq as low as 27.5 Hz (A at the bottom of the piano)
      • it's upper frequency limit is approximately 493.88Hz B above middle C, 24th fret on six string bass tuned B-1-E0-A0-D1-G1-B1
      • in addition,the bass can have an overtone/harmonic structure that can take it's upper frequency limit into the 5-6kHz easily

sculpting a place for these two instruments is about co-location, eq, compression (including side-chaining maybe), as well as judicious use of high-pass and low-pass filters
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    I wish somebody would post side by side eq's of the kick and bass in its own space

Thanks
    i will for 25$ just PM me

Thanks
    I'm havin this same issue 😕

Thanks
    Where is the love?
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    here's the thing: a kick drum is usually higher than a low bass note in fundamental frequency, so it is not going to work like that

• a kick drum can have a fundamental freq of between 60Hz and 120hz depending on how tight it is tuned
      • you then get additional freqs tied to beater material (leather/felt/wood) and any patches that may be at the spot where the beater hits the surface of the drum
      • so your kick drum can have additional peak freqs around 1kHz and even up into the 3kHz range depending on the nature of the materials in use
    • a bass guitar and any other bass synth can have a fundamental freq as low as 27.5 Hz (A at the bottom of the piano)
      • it's upper frequency limit is approximately 493.88Hz B above middle C, 24th fret on six string bass tuned B-1-E0-A0-D1-G1-B1
      • in addition,the bass can have an overtone/harmonic structure that can take it's upper frequency limit into the 5-6kHz easily

sculpting a place for these two instruments is about co-location, eq, compression (including side-chaining maybe), as well as judicious use of high-pass and low-pass filters
    This is one of the hardest
    THINGS TO FIGURE OUT
    Last edited by bandcoach; 11-19-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: fixed quote (no hardest in the quote)

Thanks
    for exactly the reasons given - there is no simple answer nor will there ever be, simply because of the amount of frequency range overlap between the two sources
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    okay when it comes too ur personal preference an it all depends on how good ur mixing on monitors and headphones reference , plus u need ur room treated u wont get the best mix on ur spot cause of these factors ..jus sum tips
    [URL]http://www.dopetracks.com/TheComissh[/URL]
    [URL]https://twitter.com/TheCommisshh[/URL]

Thread Information