Kanye West Vocal Distortion Effect. Anybody know how?

just wanted to expirement with this vocal effect. it's used on RoboCop and i think he used it in Heartless also.
it sounds like a clean distortion, but i have no idea how to do it.

any tips?

you could get the effect by adding distortion and increasing the actual volume output of the track, and then compressing it and eq to chop the spiked areas of the wav form. With that fx chain and some trial and error you can get the effect.

CoMpLeXx said:
i would say distortion like that is made from a very high end piece of hardware like a eventide FW8000

Are you kidding? It sounds like any overdriven tube I've heard. I have a cheap rack Real Tube overdrive that sounds exactly like that. All it is, is the sound of a tube going from clean to overdriven in a louder section. There are many plugs that can make the same sound as well. Why do you assume that it's a high end piece of hardware? Because it's on the radio?

Not sure what he used but try experimenting with Guitar Rig (you can download the demo at Native-Instruments website). Running different sounds and/or vocals through this can give you some great effects and I'm sure can give you a similar sounds as Kanye on those tracks. On a side note, try running your drums through it as well. It puts alot of dirt on the track and gives it a sampled feel.

i'm new to this site and i don't realy know how to make my voice or a vocal sample sound kind of deep like " A Milli " vocal sample or something like this can anybody help with this?

Yeah, I would agree with the amplitube and guitar rig suggestions. You can get some cool vocal effects by running them through a simulated guitar amp.

Izotope Trash
Or any guitar distortion type effect.
He was looking for something to show anger on the word "Enemies".
Perfect effect for that task...

Last edited:
Problematic101 said:
i'm new to this site and i don't realy know how to make my voice or a vocal sample sound kind of deep like " A Milli " vocal sample or something like this can anybody help with this?

Pitch down.

djshawt said:
Yeah, I would agree with the amplitube and guitar rig suggestions. You can get some cool vocal effects by running them through a simulated guitar amp.
man im deff gonna try this, i have amplitube 2, i won it, but still havent used it yet. Thnx

I did a cover of "Amazing" and used the FL Studio effect called "Fruity Fast Dist". Adjuts the threshold setting and mix setting so that it doesn't sound too crunched. I also use this to make "human guitar solos". It's a pretty nice effect. For the lo-fi style production, kill off the highs and mids.

Back