Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It just doesen't get loud enough (mastering problems)

Thanks

Unhappy It just doesen't get loud enough (mastering problems)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello guys!

I have almost finished my track, but the mastering is still remaining. I have only been mastering my tracks for like 2 months, so I'm still pretty new to it and everything seem so confusing. All though, I do have a certain idea of how it's done.

What I have done is having my kick at -8db and as the loudest track. Rest of the tracks is between -30db to -9db. After I had mixed it, eq'ued it and compressed it, I splitted the tracks in waw files. Then I put everything back in a new flp and threw on Izotope Ozone 5. After I had eq'ued it, compressed it even more and used the maximizer, my track still sound really low.

So my question is, what should I do? Should I push all of my tracks up with som db or should I master it in a different way? I have attached a clip from the unmastered track.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Peril

watnow-png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Mastering is not solely making a track loud. It is improving the sound, applying quality control, corrections, enhancement using the finest quality equipment money can buy. The objectivity and skill of a competent professional has a value. It is up to you whether you want to self finalize or professionally master a track.

Out of interest what is it exactly that makes you think that you can record, mix and master (3 distinct professions) to professional standards at home, bypassing the entire basis of a recording industry for the last 50 years ? 2 months give it another 9 years and 10 months and you will know the basics. (if you work hard)

I do not want to appear harsh but it is nonsense, Rome was not built in a day.

SafeandSound Mastering
    Cheap mastering
    Last edited by SafeandSound; 12-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    Yes I know I can't accomplish the perfect sound just like that, I have only produced for a year and mastered my stuff only for two. All though, if you look at monstercat artists like Tristam, Rogue and Muzzy you can tell they have great talent. Their songs are all in the ideal volume I'm looking for. Tristam has produced for 5 years, Rouge only for 1-2 years.

I'm not looking for the perfect sound atm, I'm looking for the perfect volume. And I know by using the maximizer I can atleast gain a few db.

This is actually a school assignment, so it doesen't really need to be super perfect or anything.

Tho, thank you for replying

Thanks
    lol hit your limiter harder. some eq wouldnt hurt either.

like this

Peril - Set me free_1.mp3
    Shawn "Trigga" Murgasen
    Weapon X International

Thanks
    The link doesen't work, but thanks for the advice! I'm open for anything atm

Thanks
    right click and choose save link as!
    Last edited by ~X~; 12-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Shawn "Trigga" Murgasen
    Weapon X International

Thanks
    Having the exactly same problem right now...any advices?

Thanks
    what is the goal? Loudnes doesn't sell records. It never did. Don't waste your time trying to increase the loudnes of inferior material. Great music ideas are loud by their own, bad or boring ideas aren't: people immediately turn the volume down or switch to another track. Loudnes may be interesting if you ran a radio or tv station, but a producer/engineer has other, much more important tasks to care about.

I run Tokyo Dawn Records. Check out my latest audio plug-ins over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    what is the goal? Loudnes doesn't sell records. It never did. Don't waste your time trying to increase the loudnes of inferior material. Great music ideas are loud by their own, bad or boring ideas aren't: people immediately turn the volume down or switch to another track. Loudnes may be interesting if you ran a radio or tv station, but a producer/engineer has other, much more important tasks to care about.
    Excelent advice.

First of all, loud isn't always best. Quieter and more dynamic mix is far more impressive, in my opinion. But if you try to compete with other louder mixes, here are some tips.

- Don't expect to put a limiter on the master channel and instantly achieve loudness. You need a solid mix first.
    - You can gently shape the dynamics by adding subtle compression on your individual tracks (drums, bass, etc.). Experiment with low ratio, around 2:1, few dB's of gain reduction, fast attack and release.
    - Parallel compression is also an option.
    - You can apply gentle mid-range dip and boost low and high frequencies on the master channel ('Smile' EQ curve). Our ears are more sensitive to low and high frequencies.
    - Gentle compression on the master channel (low ratio and gain reduction, fairly fast attack and release).

Also, make sure you read this informative article, to educate yourself on this subject.
    Crafting Loud Mixes That Sound Great
    Last edited by Shuriken; 12-14-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you Shuriken! for some actual advice damn. come on people don't berate the guy for asking reasonable question that a lot of producers and home producers have trouble with. Its easy to make your sound loud, the problem and where real mastering comes into play is like most people at least said is clean tracks all the way through. Recording needs to be clean bad recording bad mix overall bad song and hard to mix and master correctly. Same goes for mixing. Get all three those correct your going to have a hell of a lot easier time getting the sound you desire.

Thread Information