Jeezy's Put On:808 and sine bass in the same mix.

cntspitfiya

Alright,

I've been producing for 4 years now and can't figure out how to get these two elements in the same mix without clashing.

Drumma Boy has a deep sine bass playing with an 808 kick on top. Do any of you have an EQ tips to get them to sound good together?

Here's a link to the song for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-L3PQlwlAw

Ntohing to it. A deep sine bass and the 808 kick doesn't have as much low end.

This is what it comes down to. Low end freqencies have tons of energy compared to everything else. So when you compress a track, or sound, the first thing that you compress is the low end if the mix is more or less even. With compressors nowadays, and limiters, they have automatic gain. This is why some people think that compressors make things louder, and they don't, the gain makes things louder. The average loudness is higher, and now we have, loudness.

What this has to do with the 808 kick is this. When you have an 808 kick you can take off as much as up to 70-80hz of bass with a filter and if you compress, you can get a lot of that back, just more sharp. This is because the compressor will compress that lower end first and will bring it out. This is how you bassline can be way down there because the bass drum won't be in its way since it's playing more at the +-90hz point. But you want to leave some of that low-mid end on the bass drum so you can hear it on systems with poor bass response.

You can create harmonics on the sine bass by clipping the bass. You can turn the sine into square if you want if you compress aggressively.

Again, compressors are not for loudness. In these instances, we use them to shape a sound, and to change a sound. EQ is not always the answer. Neither is compression but you can make them work for you very well in this case.

Most of all, have patience. You likely won't get it right right away but the more it takes you the more you'll learn if you pay attention.

Last edited:
^nice post.

I've been trying to get them to mix with only an EQ, and needless to say I've been getting horrible results.

I'll try to compress the 808 like you said, thanks.

one thing i do is when eq'ing if i increase my bass at 80hz then i will make a cut to my kick at 80hz and vice versa. it helps alot to me

this has been explained so many times but i can say this explanation has intrigued me and i cant wait to get home and try it. thanx bud

SIDECHAIN COMPRESSION..
set up a compressor on the sine bass track with an external key link to the 808. buss the 808 (in a send) to a track that doesn't return to your mix (an unused buss), so... it's sending signal out to a buss that you use for the external key link of the sidechain compressor thats on the Sine track. If you set it the compression right on the sine bass track, every time the 808 hits, the sine bass will compress and lower the volume, therefore eliminating the clash. A straight 808 hits heaviest at around 62hz.. if you scoop that out of your 808- you'll lose the punch of the kick. Depending on the key of the song, the bass will clash with any sort of 808, so you have to eliminate this so you don't get the bass "wobbles" hope this helps.

I dunno but Jeezy got a d1ck head in that video..lol I'll try to remake that track, if I can get the kick to sit right I'll let you know.

there's a simple reason why 808 kicks often have problems with bass sounds.

an 808 is nothing else than a filtered low frequency tone (something between a square and a sine) with that important "thumb" at the beginning: the tone is simply pitched top-down during s small attack phase. that's how these kicks are created in the original 808.

it's really just a decaying bass tone with a fast "peeeooo" at the beginning. look at their waveforms, they consist of a bass tone with a specific frequency an a distinct transient at the beginning.

so, all you have to do is too tune these kicks to your bass and bring them in phase. that's why synths drums should not be sampled but created exclusively for a certain track with a (drum) synthesizer - that's much more flexible and nearly always leads to better results.

like any other non-noisy instruments: it has to be in tune or will most probably sound annoying (a snare or hit-hat does not always need such a tuning, because they mostly have no "tone"). that's music.

nothing else will ever fix the problem. compression and EQing can only attenuate but not eliminate these problems. tune your kicks, it's not so difficult.

Last edited:
as an addition, try and tune using the CENTs in small increments/deductions until u hear them gel nicely. also remember monitoring is crucial, so equip your azz wit some well calibrated sub monitors!!!!!

I think you may just need a different 808 sample.

When I got these 808 samples from one of mmy good friends, it had 5 different 808 kicks. They all had a different length of decaying bass, when I use one in conjunction with a sine bass (or any bass) I use the one with the shortest decay and everything sounds nice and tight before I add compression/EQ (then it sounds amazing).

Back