J dilla's distorsion (Thread for experienced producers only)

ternah

Hey guy

I 'll post two youtube videos. One with the instru Enjoy Da ride (Prod by J Dilla) and the sample used Dream - "Dream Suite"; the sample starts after 6:00 (they "key/musicbox" used enters slowly from that position).

Now the thing is at 0:07 of J Dilla's track you can hear something like a distorsion on the sample and it makes the sample sound bigger, brighter, with a nice stereo presence etc.... Ok how do you think that can be achieved ?

[h=1][/h]

What do you mean by a "distortion" on the sample? Listen to the original and then listen to the sample. Repeat the process several times while paying attention to where the original is in the stereo field compared to where the sample is in the stereo field. Do you notice a difference? You should. The original is panned hard while the sample isn't panned as hard. Do you understand panning and how things will sound louder or more up front the closer they are to the middle? If not there are threads here explaining it. There is a bit of eq going on (to the lows and mids) and there is noise from the original sample and noise that he dropped in his beat (from his gear or a sample or whatever) but that's about it.

...... Listen to the original and then listen to the sample. Repeat the process several times while paying attention to where the original is in the stereo field compared to where the sample is in the stereo field......

That's all I needed to do indeed . My bad ; no "super secret distortion procedure" was applied here.

Thank You !

Back