Issue with aligning vocals to beat-need some advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I’m having an issue with getting some vocals on beat that I took from one session, and put into another. E.g the vocals were recorded over a wave file and then once I got the full project on my computer I exported the vocals there, but now I’m having a super annoying time trying to get the vocals right.

I realized the way I went about doing this probably wasn’t the best idea, but i didn’t have the full session on my computer and just had the Wav file ...

Anyways is there any advice you guys can give. I’m sure a lot of you experience this a lot and was wondering what is the best way to handle this? Like is there a plugin I can use like VocALign that might help or another way that can help?

I think I can always just have them re record the vocals, but I seriously don’t want to have to do that.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Do you have a mix version with the stereo track .Wav file with the vocal added (in the right place), as well as the separate vocal and other session files?

GJ

Do you have a mix version with the stereo track .Wav file with the vocal added (in the right place), as well as the separate vocal and other session files?

GJ

Yeah I have both sessions.

One has the vocal that was recorded over wav file.

The other is the session I imported those same vocals into with all the files for the beat. That way I can mix everything.

Line up the mixed demo track with the session files. Then line up the vocal with both (and mute the demo mix). Voila.

GJ

If I wasn't clear above, the idea is it's likely easier to "beat match" first, then sync the vox.

GJ

Well.. looks like I figured it out. The actual project with all the sessions was 1 bpm faster then the wav file we recorded to ...*shrugs* I dont understand how that happened but I’d sure like to know for future reference.

Anyways your advice led me to this realization so thanks!

No problem. Little things can happen in the production workflow process. Human error, computer glitch, etc. Just keep paying attention and take good session notes and hit "save" a lot.

Trying to sync .Wav files and MP3's, or those that have been converted back and forth, can be problematic, as is syncing transferred tape files with digital domain files. Syncing MIDI with pre-recorded data can be an issue depending on a number of factors. And yes, definitely, 120 and 121 bpm will have big difficulty staying perfectly matched in the long run!

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back