Input on the mixing

Yeah, with a bass-heavy genre like EDM or Hip Hop, a subwoofer (or large-woofer monitors, like the KRK 10-3) is definitely going to be something that'll help you out with your mixing decisions.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I'm just a little bit unsure. Is the room treatment going to be able to produce the right image of things that I need?

I'm absolutely sure that bringing a subwoofer into my studio room at my apartment right now would introduce more problems than they would solve. So how much money am I looking to invest here to get a decent result?

Things strayed a little bit off topic here now, but they feel highly relevant to me and for this mix (which by the way I'm working really hard on because I had official interest and a possible release coming up for it) which I'm very eager to complete.

Last edited:
I'm just a little bit unsure. Is the room treatment going to be able to produce the right image of things that I need?

I'm absolutely sure that bringing a subwoofer into my studio room at my apartment right now would introduce more problems than they would solve. So how much money am I looking to invest here to get a decent result?

Things strayed a little bit off topic here now, but they feel highly relevant to me and for this mix (which by the way I'm working really hard on because I had official interest and a possible release coming up for it)

I don't know your room, so I can't answer conclusively.

At the worst,
by adding a subwoofer,
you'll have a slightly inaccurate idea of what's going on in your ultra low-end,
as opposed to having no idea of what's going on down there at all.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I listened to the second version of your edit of my track now. The difference is huge at this point!! What exactly did you do to it to? other than making it slightly louder, it sounds to me (even though the file itself is low quality) like you gave it the lift that I have desperately been looking for.

I hear what you're saying. The next time I invest in the studio is going to be a combination of proper room treatment (and the necessary research to make things as good as they can be in a near square room) and a subwoofer.

Edit;

like I mentioned briefly in a previous post, this track is now up for release and I believe that you have made a greater job of mastering the track than the people I have been in contact with have been able to do. I know that things are not supposed to be "fixed" in the mastering stage, but merely polished, but you made such a great job that I just think that these things should've been addressed at the mixing stage, and not been held until the mastering phase.. and I just have to tap in to your brain and figure out how you are able to tell weather one decision is better than another. ( I am also aware that there is lots of practice an experience behind it, and maybe that's just it)

- Am I just untrained? Do I have a poor ear for this type of thing? Am I merely a producer and not very good at mixing which I would really love to become great at?

another edit;

I feel so humbled by you. So humbled in fact that I start to doubt weather or not the 1000 or so posts I have made on this website today has actually been any help to anyone or mislead people, seeing as (compared to people like yourself) I am struggling as much as I do.

Last edited:
I listened to the second version of your edit of my track now. The difference is huge at this point!! What exactly did you do to it to? other than making it slightly louder, it sounds to me (even though the file itself is low quality) like you gave it the lift that I have desperately been looking for.

I hear what you're saying. The next time I invest in the studio is going to be a combination of proper room treatment (and the necessary research to make things as good as they can be in a near square room) and a subwoofer.

Edit;

like I mentioned briefly in a previous post, this track is now up for release and I believe that you have made a greater job of mastering the track than the people I have been in contact with have been able to do. I know that things are not supposed to be "fixed" in the mastering stage, but merely polished, but you made such a great job that I just have to tap in to your brain and figure out how you are able to tell weather one decision is better than another. ( I am also aware that there is lots of practice an experience behind it, and maybe that's just it)

- Am I just untrained? Do I have a poor ear for this type of thing? Am I merely a producer and not very good at mixing which I would really love to become great at.

another edit;

I feel so humbled by you. So humbled in fact that I start to doubt weather or not the 1000 or so plus posts I have made on this website has actually been any help to anyone, seeing as (compared to people like yourself) I am struggling.

I appreciate the compliments!

Your stuff doesn't sound bad at all, I wouldn't worry about it.
Honestly, you probably could have slapped a limiter onto your track and called it good.
Most people would have enjoyed it, so I think you might be exaggerating how "bad" it sounded in the first place.

I've been doing paid mastering for a long time now, and have been (barely) paying my bills through doing it.
There are definitely some patterns that I'm familiar with, and I'm always seeking a way to improve something
since I frequently work with people who set some very high standards for me.

I know that you said you don't have much money, but if you've got a few bucks to cover the
hour or so that it would take me to put it together and upload, I can record a little video
just for you, showing how I went about making the changes I did, and my thought process behind the changes.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I'll send you a minor amount (no offense) of euros right now if you'd be willing to do that for me.

Last edited:
I'll send you a minor amount (no offense) of euros right now if you'd be willing to do that for me.

Let me finish a few things that I'm working on right now and I'll put it together for you.

I'll get it put together, and then you can pay me what it's worth to you (or what you can afford).

It might be tomorrow before I'm able to finish it and send it over.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back