ill vocals

chilla2

hey i got through the nasal issue and the "is that my voice?" thing but how do i get them ill calm levels my joints sound louder than it should be but when i turn it down it sound like im hidden behind the beat the vocals im tryin to get a little close to is jay z, kanye, do or die the roc-a-fella sound ya know i think my lyrics would sound ill to those kind of vocals

In order to get them kinda vocals you would have to go to there studio..
what are you working with? if you working with cheap Equipment, you will never be able to achive that quailty your looking for, i meen they dont spend 100,000$ for nuthin? dig what im sayin

You should record your vocals as hot as possible without clipping. Also stand about 4" from the mic to capture voice nicely and upfront. Mixing is also important in how your vocals sit in the mix. Try doubling your vocal tracks and mixing them in.
I do like Jay-Z's vocals on the Black Album, very warm and upfront, especially on " Dirt off your shoulders". Most likely they used a tube mic or tube preamp, I like to add some warmth using the Tube plugin. I'd say for now try different mic techniques and record as hot as possible.

DJXodus - Dude I don't mean to step on your toes, but recording hot levels is the wrong way to go about the process. He is gonna use up all his headroom if he does that.

Chilla2 - I believe you can achieve the type of vocals you are talking about through compression and a hint of reverb. Easy on the compression though, you want to record your voice in the tone you want it to sound like. There are multiple ways to record a take, like some verses are more energenic and some are more calm. Mono tone vocals sound so bland(think Lloyd Banks). When you record you wanna get the cleanest sound possible, everything else can be added on but if you record a bad take you can't do much with that. I'd say try to record somewhere around -12 to -16dbs.....

What kind of equipment are you using?

o jeez i do i have crappy equipment the &10 samson co1 is my mic and i record with the zoom mrs-1608 no preamp if it were my money and my budget i would have gotten more but my father is the person buyin but what do yall think i should get by the way i dont understand what a tube mic is really

Curve, I just noticed what you pointed out and I didn't realized that. I meant to record a healthy signal and not hot.
Thanks for pointing that out, I need to read over what I post.

Hot means clipping, when your meters go into the red. A good preamp is the Prosonus Eureka, it's actually a channel strip. I have a Focusrite Trackmaster Pro, I like the results from it. I heard these little guys are pretty good, I haven't use one though: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PRSTUBEPRE its a tube preamp.

wow cool ill be savin up and whatever for that and why would it be good to record in the red/clipping/hot zone???

No,no you don't want to record hot in the record, you'll distort the audio if you do that.
You want to record at about -3db have some headroom for occasional spike that may clip.

to get the vocals you want:
1. Over dub 3 to 4 times
2. reverb them diffrently and put some predelay on that reverb
3. add a pinch of delay

also make sure you setings on your mixer and your preamp are close to the utility gain(this is marked with a "u" on the dial)
then the rest is all in the mix

Last edited by a moderator:
^ thanx i was thinkin alot of overdubbs would work ill keep tryin which is better small room or big room to record in?

recording too many overdubs(if u cant stay completely on top of yourself) will sound like a lot of different tones. u will have to work wonders with the eq to make it sound like one take. i usually record my leads down the middle and pan two overdubs and turn them down a lil bit so u can barely hear them but they thicken up the lead vocal.

My first condenser was a Samson C01 and it was fine. I also continue to use the TubePre although I've upgraded my mic. Everything you have been told should help,so I'll add what i can without saying the same thing. Practice the vocal a couple times. A clean perfromance can be your best friend. Speak clearly and make sure your vocal is edited to be recording friendly. Good songs are that way for a reason. Sometimes you have to compromise how words are pronounced and at what length they are spoken to get a clear sound. Always leave headroom. A good friend of mine who produces professionaly (like major label) has everyone stick out their pinky and thumb ina surfer like position and places the thumb on the mouth and the pinky on the mic. That should give you the right distance to be from the mic. That has been passed down from some Jazz cats to some rock cats to him to me to you. peace

Last edited:
nice tip gouch. Is this the total distance from the mouth to the mic an then pop stopper in between that?

Sometimes if I can want to get the clean dubb sounds I uses Waves Doubler. You can mess around with it to achieve the sound you want. You get the dubbing sound without all the choas...nice and clean.

how do u "dubb", is that a effect you add to ur vocals? if so what programs are you guys using?the same question for compression..is that done through the effects menu?

A dub or overdub is what you would generally record after the main vocal part and sits on top of that vocal recording to add more weight to it. I've never heard of it being implemented by a plug-in or effect but according to witnesscats18, it's possible.

And depending on what set-up you have, compression is a processing utility you may find in different places. It can either be a software plug-in or a hardware piece of equipment.

I would also agree with recording vocals to about -3dB to give headroom for potential spikes....I don't know about going as low as -12dB.

Back