I need help/advice

ispeakwithagift

I have been working on this song and I am in the process of mixing the vocals and I was trying to see if I could get some advice about what effects I should add to my lead vocals. I would be happy to upload them and tell you what effects I have used so far should someone reply.

audio examples are always good as they can tell us far more than words usually can

the most common fx are delays and reverb but you might also use other things like chorus, flanging, distortion/overdrive, etc to get a specific or unique sound

audio examples are always good as they can tell us far more than words usually can

the most common fx are delays and reverb but you might also use other things like chorus, flanging, distortion/overdrive, etc to get a specific or unique sound

should i include the instrumental as well or just post the vocals?

What genre as well? You'll find in hip hop the vocals don't have much reverb or delay at all, and that in House there's a noticeable amount. The most important part of vocals is compression, and without a doubt compression. EQ'ing is of course incredibly important but for vocals, compression used right will simply make the vocals brilliant. Get those two done to your taste then add some reverb and/or delay.

Last edited:
Single band compression usually works fine but that's completely up to you. And yeah, don't really need it drowned in effects, but powerful mids is where the vocals shine :).

Back