i dont wanna double my vocals what effects should i use?

cash10

I hate when i double because the vocals never sound clean and crisp!!!!!!What effects can i add to a single layer of vocals to make it sound tight???Do any of you go without doubling???????

I don't often like the sound of doubled vox however if you clone your vocal track and delay the cloned track slightly, you should be able to fake a doubled effect.

What do you mean? Call up the delay in your host application and put it on the cloned vocal track. play with the settings till it's very subtle.

As much as people don't like the sound of doubled vocals, ...we really do. The problem is artful placement. One of the signatures of a professional album these days is business - as in very busy. There's a lot going on, particularly on vocals.

Sure, you can get away with having only one vocal, but it all depends on what the music calls for.

You could try a stereo slap delay right in the inserts or you could bus the main vocal to 2 differently eq'd mono slap delays panned left and right. Try to set the delays between 25-35 ms. Play with the all the settings until you get the sound you want. BTW ou could also compress them differently too.-Marty

A slight detune (+- 20 cent) with a harmoniser can do the trick or a SMALL amount of intonation correction (auto tune etc) on a copy of the track and mix it in below the original. You can also experiment with sharp low EQ cuts on the clone.

Nuttin beats the real ting though :D

easy

Last edited:
audiotecnicality said:
As much as people don't like the sound of doubled vocals, ...we really do. The problem is artful placement. One of the signatures of a professional album these days is business - as in very busy. There's a lot going on, particularly on vocals.

Sure, you can get away with having only one vocal, but it all depends on what the music calls for.
agreed i always liked biggies dubs and em's were he drops octaves are sick... (even tho dubs are not ment to be any different in tone or warmth than the orginal)

Daze

Forget the plug-ins. For a doubling effect, what you do is clone the track and delay it anywhere from 15-30 ms ahead of the original track. It'll thicken up the vocal right there.

Back