I cannot make my kick/bass go boom!!!!

itzdlo

ayodlo
Alright im workin on a crunk soundin beat and I dont know what im doing wrong. In my mix I have everything the way I want it, except for the boomin kick/bass. Ive tried to EQ my kick bringing up the low and turning down the high. It sounds good and strong solo'd but when I play it with everything else it just doesnt stand out. I threw a 808 kick under it to give it a more boomin sound but it still doesnt sound STRONG. If i turn it up it starts clippin over even though my other sounds are louder and not clippin. Idk whats wrong. How can I get that POWERFUL:bigeyes: boom/kick without clipping? Ive watched tutorials and read those hard hittin drum tutorials but i havent seemed to find my answer. Thanks. :)

You should go back to your sample source. If you don't start off with good, quality, samples, no amount of tweakin' is gonna make them sound the way you're wanting them to.

Find a sample that's as close to what you're looking for as possible, then take it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
You eq the kick but you did not eq the other tracks
Your problem is you have no headroom left so why do you think turning up tracks will help. You be losing more headroom
You need to make some cuts in some of your tracks
You can't always boost .Highpass some of the other tracks will help the bass and kick

Last edited by a moderator:
People put too much emphasis on kicks.

1. Get a good monitoring chain."good" does not equate to expensive. "Good" equates to a monitoring chain focused on correction of problems you face in the music you create. If you do a genre where Drum/Bass going "boom" is a concern, I'd suggest $200 speakers with at least 8inch subs hooked to a powerful speaker amp over a pair of $600 5inch reference monitors. You need to hear dynamic range that you can't detect in small packaged light wattage powered monitors nomatter how "professional" they are marketed to be. Those arent what your music is getting played on in cars or clubs.

2. Once you have speakers that allow you to hear everything going on around you. mixing kick and bass becomes a task of finding the perfect kick, most likely shortening length for more punch, inserting 808s and subs at low levels in key spots to increase low end, and most of all, using a volume knob. Compression and EQ don't have nothing on a volume knob when you're trying to make drums sit in a mix. Finding the perfect range for kicks, bass, and everything else to sit well will give you more boom at a lower volume than just trying to turn everything up.

3. Reference. You can referece in your car, other stereos in your home, whatever. play it behind multiple pro recording that you want your quality to sound similar to and concentrate on what sounds different in their mixes than yours. Doing this will often teach you, most drums and bass that 'boom" in songs aren't very loud, or consume the mix at all. The ones that fall flat often do.

Eq the kick +3db at 1kHz for knock. Eq the kick +3 or +6db at 60Hz for boom. Eq out those freq for everything else. Compress with a 7:1 ratio with an attack that lets the knock through and adapt release. About 6db of GR.

If you still can't hear it good then it's a problem with your monitors or a fighting mix. Google sidechain compression.

You must realize that Bass is the most difficult to mix because of the freq that it contains and how it acts. That's why "Stronger" by Kanye was mixed so many times to make it bump. If you remember the first cut on the radio the bass sucked balls.

How about u post a snippit so we can hear whats actually going on instead of giving u random tips.

Random tips? They are pretty specific considering how you use different setting for every track. The question was what was vague.

what I meant was we dont Know what he Really needs. We could go back and forth offering advice or we can eliminate the middleman and say exactly what needs to be done ie "if you remove alittle more snare you make the piano breathe alittle more. then you'll be able to...yada yada". you see what I'm sayin?

We'd be able to give more accurate Advice and note some much general Instructions.

Alright im workin on a crunk soundin beat and I dont know what im doing wrong. In my mix I have everything the way I want it, except for the boomin kick/bass. Ive tried to EQ my kick bringing up the low and turning down the high. It sounds good and strong solo'd but when I play it with everything else it just doesnt stand out. I threw a 808 kick under it to give it a more boomin sound but it still doesnt sound STRONG. If i turn it up it starts clippin over even though my other sounds are louder and not clippin. Idk whats wrong. How can I get that POWERFUL:bigeyes: boom/kick without clipping? Ive watched tutorials and read those hard hittin drum tutorials but i havent seemed to find my answer. Thanks. :)

you can use saturation or a amp send to get the sound u need have u used any valve compressors?

What most people do is separate the kick into it's own track but leave it in the mixed track as well. You side-chain the kick so that you can treat it separately and you compress the **** out of it (you still have t going through the main mix too), then eq it to taste, and it gives it a deep mushed sound underneath the original kick in the main mix. The original kick maintains its clarity while you compress the alternate and bring out its low end.

Then there's pumping as well, but I trust you can look that one up.

boost up about 4 dbs around 53 hz and about 2 dbs around 83hz but make sure you have a good sample first or it wont even matter how much u eq it

Wow @ all the precise info without ever hearing the precise kick.

Good monitoring of low end dynamics is the only answer. Without it, you will always be taking guesses and shots in the dark.

You got a few thousand? Get some high end 15 inch monitors...you got a few hundred, don't waste it on "monitors" or speakers that don't knock...period.

Last edited:
what I meant was we dont Know what he Really needs. We could go back and forth offering advice or we can eliminate the middleman and say exactly what needs to be done ie "if you remove alittle more snare you make the piano breathe alittle more. then you'll be able to...yada yada". you see what I'm sayin?

We'd be able to give more accurate Advice and note some much general Instructions.

Um with ya

Wow @ all the precise info without ever hearing the precise kick.
That is precisely what I was laughing at as I read through the thread until I got to your post!

I mean what the hell!!! No one has any idea what the Kick//bass sounds like or what HE means by "boom!!!!".

Its like blind leading the blind only one blind man knows the neighborhood so if given an address (a reference) could actually lead safely to the destination but alas no address, just the color of the building! :bigeyes:

Back