I am discouraged!!!

SunsetMan

Hello Folks ?

I have tried 4 sound engineers to mix and master my song and I paid them but won’t use their mix ?

Is there someone out there that can mix and master while really taking into account of all the sound details.... volume During the whole track doesn’t mean the same level all along ..... certain parts have to stick out, punchy kick doesn’t mean muddy kick, powerful doesn’t mean a lack of presence, A mean/serious snare doesn’t mean a tonky snare .... etc..... jeeeeezzzz I’m discouraged ?

I am under the impression that most sound mixing engineers put every song through a general run of the mill template and don’t really care for giving the mix that winning texture ..... sooooo disappointing!!!!!!!

I am advocating a cry for help here.....

SSM

Last edited:
It could depend on how well engineered the tracks are. But at the same time, I also admit that a lot do just run them through their output chains according to a formula. Care to post samples of the mixes you've had done? I might also have time to run through a track myself if you PM 10hzstudio and I links to the files.

Just got another mix which I had to give another 20 corrections back...... ooofffffff

I am looking for a sound engineer that pays attention to detail as if he were a musician too!

And yes you are right many just run the tracks as they would for any other mix and I don’t know what the hell some of them are doing behind closed doors with transformers or analogue gear or what not etc.... I think all this stuff has to be used wisely Or else it will degrade the mix.

You both answered me and I thank you!

Can you guys give me something to go by such as a website describing your services please

Thank you
SM

Last edited:
Don't get discouraged SunsetMan. I'm a live performer and producer not a studio mix engineer, so I don't have a 'business website' for you to 'examine' I just wanted to hear the song and see what might be going wrong with them. If you don't want to post even a sample of one of the mixes, fine but it would be helpful for our reference to try to help diagnose the problems we're having. We're offering to help for free with another set of ears.

Expectations

If you had had 4 different people mix the song and you feel that all 4 were lacking then I wonder about the source material and/or the communication. What are you giving them and what are your expectations of the mix? Why are you not mixing this yourself? What did you record this on and what were you using for monitors.

I used to work in a studio that recorded a lot of different bands. Drummers would come in there and of course always wanted to use their drums which usually were not configured for recording. Very few had decent heads on them and the tuning was questionable at best. They would have muffling on all of the drums. Then the kicker was they wanted their drums to sound like John Bonham. Trying to tell them it wasn't going to happen was well...

Thank you all for your generous feedback.... I cannot give out any samples of My song and what’s happening because I only give this to a person that is engaged with me in for a mixing service at hand. But I do understand that you need to hear something in order to help. It simply all my compositions stay under wrap until released.

Right now the house has provided a few more mixes and it’s getting better.

As to if I’m so picky why don’t I record this myself, well yes I have sworn I am not going this route anymore .... I really got fed up of hundreds and hundreds of emails and tons of file transfers just to get the result I already have in my rough mix. I’m done with that....

This mindset that I’m supposed to shell out 60 tracks of music to some engineer and expect it to come back with all the details that I’ve been adjustIng for the past year is a fairytale !!!! This is way too much work....

This is why I am starting courses in mixing and mastering With a very good and well respected sound engineer in my city one On one Privately at my studio Sitting next to each other where he will show me all the ins and outs to a professional mix and master.

I’ve had it with this sending out tracks to mix once and for all.....

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Back