How to replicate this Unique 808/Kick Mix?

themrlavala

​Hello,

I need help with deconstructing mixes like these:

fingersblue w/ vnsn by 808LOUIE | Free Listening on SoundCloud

DEAD LUV by 808LOUIE | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The Code (Feat. Figuero Jones) by 808LOUIE | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Revenge (Prod. By 808LOUIE) by 808LOUIE | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Whenever it hits it seems to clip, but it's a really harsh clip. The kick sounds kinda scrunched up. In 'The Code' it's almost like the kick is sidechained to every other element?

I've tried replicating this with limiters, compressor, soft clipping, hard clipping etc. I've put them on the master bus, on the kick by itself, I've grouped kick/808 and then used the fx, but I still can't seem to get the same sound.

I've tried with different kick/808 samples too. I've tried layering the kick with snares and claps but it's no use.

It seems to be almost impossible to replicate it.

Some people were talking about the Digital Clip preset in Ableton's Stock Saturator, can someone try that for me?

Would love some input from you guys! I work on FL studio.

I can’t for the life of me figure out how this type of sound became popular, or why anyone would want to willingly emulate it...

That being said, have you tried an analog distortion plug-in, or, actual analog distortion?

GJ

I would say, like GJ: Analog Distortion on your track, or on a bus you send the signal to.
If that does not help, maybe export the result of ^that and then apply the same FX again to the audio file you bounced.

Easiest way is to search for samples like these on pages like Noiiz or Splice though ;)

Back